Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gilded post-260 AE coins  (Read 744 times)

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Gilded post-260 AE coins
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:46:38 pm »
I was wondering; what was the main reason for gilding regular coins, such as an AE3 (which is the type I've seen the most of), or a silvered Denarius , etc?  Were most of them done by private individuals for jewelry or were they low-end presentation pieces at donatives?

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: Gilded post-260 AE coins
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 07:42:52 am »
I have not seen any gilded coins of the period. Most higher value billon coins up to the mid- 4th century were  silvered to differentiate them from lower value base-metal fractions. Certainly this was official as an imperial decree has survived prohibiting the removal by 'sweating' of silver from coins. Surviving coins have mostly lost their silver coating. Sometimes the coating is very thin, allowing the copper to shine through, giving a gilded appearance.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:58:48 pm »
I've seen one gilded Aurelian Denarius, and maybe 4 or 5 gilded AE 3's over the years, each with bona fide gilding, or what was left of it.

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 03:57:47 pm »
P.S.  The majority of them that I've seen are Constantius, Valens, or that period.  A couple seemed to be clumsy Solidus ancient fakes, some were not.  I was just wondering if anyone had a theory of whether the ones not made as forgeries were done as aftermarket jewelry by the general public or that a few were done by the government at public or army donatives.

They don't seem to come up very often, I see maybe 1-3 a year for sale.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity