Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Provincial(?) w/rider on horseback reverse help needed  (Read 575 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Provincial(?) w/rider on horseback reverse help needed
« on: November 07, 2008, 10:59:04 pm »
Everning everyone. I recieved this one recently and have had no luck with attibuting it. I am afraid I cannot add much other than the weights/size and a pic. The searches that I did revealed nothing much, although the reverse looks a heck of a lot like the Agrippa I types that feature Agrippa II on horseback reverses, but on the other hand I could find nothing that remotely looked like a match on the obverse.
[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Thank you very much for any and all help.

Chris

26mm 12.18g

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Provincial(?) w/rider on horseback reverse help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 04:59:56 am »
It's an issue from the Macedonian Koinon, showing Alexander "the Great" on the obverse and Alexander on Bukephalos on the reverse; the legends should read AΛEΞANΔPOY / KOINON MAKEΔONΩN NEO or similar. These were issued in the 3. Century AD. Yours has a rare bust type, a pity the condition is not very good. I believe Arminius has a coin with a similar bust in his collection.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 08:21:00 am »
AMNG 3.109,405; here's a link to a much bigger-ticket example

[link removed by admin]

(CNG E-Auction 192.108 [July 2008], optimistically graded aEF, which brought $1485),

with the more "seasoned" portrait on my specimen:
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:34:31 am »
Thanks gentlemen! Lol...too bad mine's not in the greatest shape! Estimate $150...sold for $1485...jeez...that would have funded my coin collecting for a year!  ;D

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity