Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Macrinus & Diad obverse die sought  (Read 769 times)

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Macrinus & Diad obverse die sought
« on: March 25, 2006, 03:46:09 pm »
Hi,

Unfortunately this coin has had a hard life.  The obverse legend is tricky but it should be possible to decipher it with a bit of work.  However, I can't seem to locate a previously published specimen where Serapis is in the same pose with the arm outstretched rather than upwards (for this pair).  Does anyone know of such a previous example?
Many thanks
Malcolm

Ob. [AVT K OPELLI CEV MAKREINOC K M OPELLI ANTONEINOC] Laureate and draped bust of Macrinus facing bare headded and draped bust of Diadumenian left
Rev. VP PONTIANOV MAR-KIANOPOLEITWN Serapis with kalathos standing left, holding sceptre across left arm and raising right arm
Ref ?
Size AE27
Weight 11.55g
Die rotation 180/o

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Macrinus & Diad obverse die sought
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 04:08:31 pm »
I think I have the reverse, and I'll post my coin for your consideration.  Pat
17 10 03 AE 27  13.98g  axis 6:00  Issued by Pontianus.  Draped busts of Macrinus, laureate, to r., and Diadumenian to l.  AVT K OPELLI SEV MAKREINOS (partly obscured) [K M OPELLI ANT]ONEINOS (worn).  Evidently Pick 720, but not "= 717", since there is surely no K for the boy's name.  Rev., Serapis, with kalathos, raised r. arm, and scepter, stg. l.  VP PONTIANOV (hand) MAR (kalathos) KIANOPOLEITON.  No ligatures (not as 720, rev.).  E in l. field  Pontianos's name divided differently from that of 719.  Pick described only single examples of these.

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Re: Macrinus & Diad obverse die sought
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 04:12:26 pm »
Excellent!.  Lovely example BTW.  I will use your obverse legend to make the corrections.  I think the other main reverse of this type shows Serapis wearing boots - here he is definitely barefoot.
Many thanks
Malcolm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity