Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Encapsulated Coins  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Encapsulated Coins
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 07:22:55 pm »
That actually gives me an excuse to buy a new Drexel motor tool, my last one (off brand) burned up. This sounds like a great option, as does the band saw. but I don't need a band saw :-)

Thanks!

Virgil

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2021, 04:35:30 pm »
I just watched a 'how to' video online (easy to find by searching), instruction on using a hammer to crack slabs. Looked like a sure way to damage coins.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 12:00:58 am »
I found that video. Very interesting and that hammer method is scary. I think I will go with hacksaw and pliers, I still haven't worked up the nerve. The comments were also very interesting. Seems as if people will remove the coins from encapsulation and resubmit to get a better grade. Modern coin collecting is all about grades, I guess. That could get expensive. What if you get a worse grade?

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2021, 07:11:17 pm »
So, I took the first of my two encapsulated coins out of their enclosures today. I was a nervous wreck, but it wasn't as bad in the end as I thought. I used a hacksaw just to cut a small slit I could get a screwdriver in and then pried it open. It took a few minutes and I was being as careful as possible. I kept the NGC tag, where the number is recorded and grading. Somehow, it felt wrong to do, but I will be freeing the other one tomorrow.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity