Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek AE - Help - 1  (Read 301 times)

Offline Crassus

• Caesar
Greek AE - Help - 1
« on: June 27, 2021, 04:36:53 pm »
Help need to ID, please?

17mm. 5,3 grs

Thank you for your help

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Greek AE - Help - 1
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 06:57:39 pm »
Dear Young and board,

This is a very interesting Greek bronze of Nysa in Lydia.  Similar pieces can be found on Wildwinds, such as in the following example:

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/lydia/nysa/Regling_15a.txt
https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/lydia/nysa/Regling_15a.jpg

On your coin, Young, the reverse inscription is a bit different.  In the Lydia lists I have from Dane Kurth, the closest match I could find is "ΕΤΟΥΣ ΕΔΙ ΝΥΣΑΕΩΝ ("ETOYS EDI NYSAEWN").  The catalog reference she gives for this variety (in the list) is:  "Milne, Oxford 1 in NC 1939."  If this is an exact match, then I suppose the inscriptions should look and be arranged more like this, from left field to right:  "ΕΔΙ / ΕΤΟ - V[Σ] /
ΝV[Σ]ΑΕΩ[Ν]".   

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Crassus

• Caesar
Re: Greek AE - Help - 1
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 06:15:48 am »
Thank you so much dear, is perfect

All coins are guaranteed for eternity