Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Counterstamped 18mm Greek Bronze  (Read 1106 times)

Offline mrbigb625

• Consul
  • Cool forum!
Counterstamped 18mm Greek Bronze
« on: June 28, 2018, 04:41:48 pm »
This came in with a collection. There doesn't seem to be a lot for me to go on.
Obverse bust with a counterstamp, and a horse reverse.
I'm hoping someone here has a better trained eye than me.
Any help identifying this would be appreciated.
Thank you

7.0 g
Bronze
18mm diameter

Offline Blindado

• Consul
Re: Counterstamped 18mm Greek Bronze
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 08:46:38 pm »
My guess would be Aeolis, Kyme. c250-190 BC. Æ 20mm. Head of the Amazon Kyme right, in taenia & earring / KUMAI-WN, horse prancing right, one-handled cup below; magistrate PUQAS, SNG Cop 102, BMC 67-68, SNGvA 1635. http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sg/sg4192.html

Offline mrbigb625

• Consul
  • Cool forum!
Re: Counterstamped 18mm Greek Bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:27:44 am »
Thank you very much. Your help is appreciated. With your information, I was able to do some further research and was able to identify the countermark as Bust of Artemis".

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar

All coins are guaranteed for eternity