Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can I please have someone identify and provide information on my items.  (Read 2744 times)

Phantom

Hi several items that I have that I am looking to reasearch as I know little about them.

Thanks

Peter.

Phantom

Re: Can I please have someone identify and provide information on my items.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:20:01 am »
Next lot.

Phantom

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:23:12 am »
Next lot

Phantom

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:26:57 am »
Next lot

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:20:20 am »
Hi Phantom,
     Photos 8, 9, 10, and 11 appear to be Sassanian bead seals, circa 3rd to 7th century AD., the cylinder seals are probably much earlier. If you wish to pursue your interests in Sassanian seals, I can suggest two publications. I don't think they are on line, so you may have to go to a library. They are:
1.  Bivar, A.D.H.  Catalogue of the Western Asiatic Seals in the British Museum, Stamp Seals, II. The Sassanian Dynasty. London, The British Museum, 1969.
2.  Frye, Richard N. Sasanian Remains from Qasr-i Abu Nasr: Seals, Sealings and Coins. Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University Press, 1973.
     I hope this helps.
Russ     

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:41:54 am »
Hi Phantom,

Just a few more observations, I'm no expert in western asiatic glyptics and antiquities but...
Numbers 5 and 6 - I am assuming they are bronze - may be Luristan.
Numbers 12 and 13 - animals of stone or hard clay - may be very early, like Jemdet Nasr.
Some of the other photos - carnelian seals - lack detail.

Russ

Phantom

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:58:57 am »
Hi and thanks Russ, 5 & 6 are metal what sort not sure but heavy so I think you are spot on with Bronze  +++

Again correct on 12 is stone not sure on 13 but yes very primative examples :o

Here are some more photos of the cylinder seals, it may help you identify them better  :)

Thanks

Peter

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 11:28:40 am »
Hi Peter,

If I had to guess, I would say your items came from present day Iraq, none of them are Egyptian.
     The ETANA/ABZU (Electronic Tools and Ancient Near Eastern Archives0 web site is a treasure house of books. They have more books on cylinder seals than they have on scarabs. I would pay attention to the following publication - Frankfort, H. and Jacobsen, T. Stratified cylinder seals from the Diyala Region (iraq). Oriental Institute Publication 72.
     I doubt if I could tell the difference between an authentic cylinder and a good fake. I am ignorant of specifics in this field. Perhaps, there are others here who know more.

Russ

All coins are guaranteed for eternity