Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Oil lamp authentication  (Read 6313 times)

Alex S2

Oil lamp authentication
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:05:04 pm »
Hi. I bought several oil lamps a couple of years ago. I started to have doubts about their authenticity. Could somebody tell me if the oil lamp in the pictures looks like a real deal? Thank you.

Offline James Anderson

• Consul
Re: Oil lamp authentication
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:34:33 pm »
There is an informative article in the December 2011 issue of the Celator magazine called "Avoiding Fake Oil Lamps."
According to the author, indications of authenticity are mineral deposits and root marks from long burial in the
ground. Indications of fakes are the absence of a filling hole (which your lamp does have), a patina that washes off,
embedded hairs or brush bristles, glue and other materials that would have been destroyed during the firing of a
genuine lamp. If your lamp passes all these tests, you will still need to take it to an expert to determine authenticity. Jim A
Add: there are numerous posts about oil lamps on this board which might be helpful. 

Strobilus

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:44:55 am »
I see no reason to doubt the authenticity of your lamp. There are replicas of this type but they are easily spotted. The style, fabric and patination of your lamp are entirely consistent with genuinely ancient lamps of its type.

Your lamp is the so-called 'Herodian' type. They are very common and were made in the Palestine region of the Levant from around the very late 1st century BC up to the end of the 1st century AD.

There are comparanda references given on a similar lamp here: http://www.romulus2.com/lamps/database/lamp.php?14

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 01:05:11 pm »
Thanks for replying Strobius.  I appreciate you sharing your expertise here.  (Note the link is to his own excellent website!)
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Strobilus

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:20:17 pm »
Thanks for your kind words, Joe. I don't visit very often but enjoy helping out when I can.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity