Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek eagle  (Read 652 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Greek eagle
« on: July 16, 2010, 10:57:40 am »
I bought this one as an unidentified AE19 Greek BC coin. Any suggestions to the ID will be appreciated, I am new to Greek coins.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Zeeuwsepiep

Re: Greek eagle
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 02:20:43 pm »
Thanks, Ptomely then I guess...

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 03:28:49 pm »
Yes, Ptolemy I, Apollo hd. r. / Eagle l. on t-bolt with what I would call an aplustre (= Svoronos' so-called akrostolion?).
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 03:13:27 am »
Nice coin, i have always been a fan of this type, they all have such artistic portraits.

Regards
Mike
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:13:09 pm »
Thanks, Ptomely then I guess...

Yes (but swap the m and the l :), attributed to Ptolemy I, possibly from CyprusObverse said to depict deified Alexander the Great with long hair, wearing Ammon horn and mitra (headband).  Reverse symbol combination of aplustre above helmet = Svoronos 172, SNG Cop. 36 and 37.  The metal of these issues often looks more like brass than bronze, kind of 'yellow'.  Not especially rare (Svoronos noted 34 specimens).  There are a number of varieties of different reverse symbol combinations (aplustre alone, monograms, letters, etc.) with this same obverse portrait type.  Possibly a 'hemiobol' denomination (typically 3.5-4.5 gm).

Two examples illustrated on this Svoronos plate:

http://www.coin.com//images/dr/svoronos/svc006p002p.html

There's also one at www.ptolemybronze.com in the PtolemAE collection 'denomination series' page.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity