Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Macrianus  (Read 2510 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Macrianus
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:31:28 pm »
Hi,

I recently picked up this coin of Macrianus. The syle of it (crude obverse lettering and staring eye) plus the field marks of crescent and star on the reverse makes it a bit more unusual.

Macrianus 260-1 AD
AR antoninianus
Secondary Eastern mint
Obv "IMP C FVL MACRIANVS PF AVG"
Radiate and cuirassed bust right
Rev "IOVI CONSERVATORI"
Jupiter seated left
crescent in left field, star in right field
RIC -
Mattingly (Num. Chron. 1954) suggests that this is from a separate mint, striking at the end of the reign and being most prevalent for Quietus. Only a single example of this type was noted by him in the Gibraltar hoard. Göbl does not list an example of this type for Macrianus in his Gallienus tome and only a single one for Quietus.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Macrianus
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 04:54:38 pm »
Very nice and very interesting indeed! Another point for a separate mint would be the metal: this coin seems to be almost pure bronze, while most antoniniani of Macrianus and Quietus are in fair quality silver, like my "usual" one.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:02:35 am »
Very nice coin(s)! and very rare!
Mine shows the same amount of wear as Rupert's but has even more obvious a different style of lettering on the reverse:
IMP.C.FVL.MACRIANVS AVG. radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / AEQVTAS AVGG. Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae; star in left field. Mint of Antioch, RIC 5(b).
When other Forum members contribute pictures of Macrianus, this could develop into a thread worth saving for future reference....

Frans

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:29:37 am »
Here's mine.  Hey at this rate maybe we can get all the reverses!  How many are there?
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:36:16 am »
On antoniniani there are ten types in RIC and some variations on the theme, but I suppose that there are some more, due to their rarity. Mauseus' coin is a variant on RIC 9 (the crescent in the left field is not recorded in RIC).
Rupert's is RIC 11
Yours is RIC 12.

Frans

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:19:56 am »
Here is my example of RIC 8 -Indulgentia seated left, holding patera and sceptre. INDVLGENTIAE AVG
Mention was made of the silver content of Macrianus's coins. According to analyses that have been done on coins of Macrianus in the Ashmolean and British museums, silver content varies from 6.84% to a whopping 35.42%.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 04:43:03 pm »
Very nice coin(s)! and very rare!
Frans

Hi,
Is it me, or is there quite a lot of them showing around these days ? I've seen some on forum catalog and in other places too. A hoard ?

Regards
Potator

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 06:46:37 pm »
Hi,

Mint 1 ones, yes, but the secondary series (whether a different mint or last issue from the primary mint) are extremely rare for Macrianus; no other one has shown up on this board yet!

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 06:40:26 am »
Hi,

Mint 1 ones, yes, but the secondary series (whether a different mint or last issue from the primary mint) are extremely rare for Macrianus; no other one has shown up on this board yet!

Regards,

Mauseus

Sure Mauseus, I was referring to Macrianus ants generally speaking, not this type in particular

Thanks for the precisions
Regards
Potator

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 01:40:25 pm »
Hi all,

I'm reviving this 14+ year old post as I was researching an unusual antoninianus of Macrianus which I received last week.
It appears that my antoninianus has a matching obverse with the coin posted by Mauseus, see picture below for comparison.
The reverse is struck from a different die though.
The Macrianus coins from the secondary mint (Emesa?) appear quite rare indeed, i have found very few examples so far.

gr Luuk

All coins are guaranteed for eternity