Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Suspicious Marcianopolis provincial  (Read 483 times)

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
Suspicious Marcianopolis provincial
« on: February 08, 2023, 08:08:48 am »
Hi,

I have some doubts about this coin, and hope to get some additional opinions, fake or real, or at least if looks suspicious indeed.
AE27, 13.82 gr. It looks ok at first in hand, weight is ok, and it has some very convincing flow lines;
But patina tends to come of easily by light scrubing with finger and the metal underneath looks unusual and reddish,
that could be seen on some areas both obverse and reverse, especiaslly around lettering;
There are also some lines or cracks on the edge that doesn't look quite normal
Thanks in advance

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Suspicious Marcianopolis provincial
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 01:19:39 pm »
Obvious cast coin . Metal is not OK since red copper was very rarely used on Provincial coins. Casting seam is even open! and the surfaces are too rough and details ragged.

frans

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 02:11:56 pm »
Thanks Frans. I would say that edge line looks more like those of an electrotype fake, rather than casting seam, but some features like detail and rim softness would suggest cast indeed. If cast, it's a "good one"

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 06:55:05 pm »
On the reverse about 2 O'Clock and on the edge appears to be the remnant of a casting spur., or so it seems to me.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 09:54:35 am »
I am not certain. Color in photos is unreliable. The seam could be a fold from strike. The remnant of a casting sprue could be a die break. I am not certain, either way.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity