Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Votive Mirror from Caesarea Maritima  (Read 483 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Lead Votive Mirror from Caesarea Maritima
« on: December 08, 2022, 09:14:46 pm »
Hi all.  Here is a frame from a lead mirror from Caesarea.  Except for a variation in the decoration it is nearly identical in shape and style to a previous example from the same site, and possibly from the same workshop.  These artifacts are being reported from all over the map, but different areas seem to have distinctive types and so far I have not seen any exactly like these.  I am wondering about the design feature at the top of the intact mirror, whether it might have any significant meaning.  It reminds me of a little of an astrological sign, or maybe a head dress of a Roman god or goddess.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Also, and this is a pretty far-fetched idea, but these objects remind me of the Catholic monstrance in their general appearance, though not in their relative sizes!  Could there be any distant ritualistic relation?  Lead votive mirrors have been discussed in at least two other Forum topics, linked below.  As always, any other comments or examples from our members would be welcomed.  Thanks, V-drome.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=96778.0
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=124557.0

BCC L10                                                         BCC L34
Votive Lead Mirror                                           Votive Lead Mirror Frame
Roman 2nd-3rd Cent CE                                  Roman 2nd-3rd Cent CE
Caesarea Maritima                                          Caesarea Maritima
Lead framed mirror with green glass                 Lead frame for votive or apotropaic
fragment. The obverse is decorated with           mirror decorated with 18 small circles,
pairs of pellets within raised concentric             each containing a central pellet.  At top
borders around the glass.  Parallel horizontal     and bottom are remnants of an uncertain
lines descend the length of the handle with       design element and a flared decorated
with additional pellets in the flare where the      handle.  On the reverse are remains of
handle joins the frame.                                    four retention tabs for the reflective glass.
8.8cm. x 3.6cm. wt: 22.61gm.                         4.6cm. x 3.6 x 0.15cm. wt: 9.40gm.
Diameter of mirror 1.6cm.                               Diameter of mirror 2.2cm.                           
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1978               Surface find, Caesarea Maritima, ca. 1977                                                                   

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Lead Votive Mirror from Caesarea Maritima
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 07:44:46 am »
Bird head protomes?  The doves of Venus??

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 12:32:07 pm »
 +++  Thanks, Shawn!

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 10:06:23 am »
Was that glass with it or did you add it?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 01:38:13 pm »
Hi, Shawn.  The glass was with it when I found it, but the larger piece had shifted when I began to photograph it.  I stabilized the larger piece with water soluble glue and I think it matches with the small piece trapped under the top left tab, but I want to examine it further before I say for sure.  I'll add more soon.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 02:07:57 pm »
Okay. The larger fragment had fallen out when I started to photograph the mirror, but there was still a small piece trapped under the top left tab that matched up with the break, so I am pretty confident that this was approximately the original position of the glass (the edge also matches the stain on the frame).  The edges of the glass appear to have been broken in antiquity to fit the size of the mirror, rather than having a specifically pre-shaped piece moulded for this purpose.  The glass has some slight curves to the surface, and the thickness of the glass seems fairly consistent, but whether it was made for this use or possibly scavenged from something else to use in the mirror, I can't tell.  Let me know if you would like any other photos of particular details, I'll be happy to try.  Thanks, Jimi

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 03:17:36 pm »
Really neat to have some of the glass intact.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline VonDrobac

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 03:19:33 pm »
About the design on the top of frame - in most articles they describe it as two leaves or simple two extensions. Sometimes they really look like leaves but they don't have gap as on this specimen, so I believe that Shawn is right about birds heads not just because of shape but I have seen several lead mirrors with that motive in some form. On attached pictures of mirror from Novae (Bulgaria) we have bird heads as support for frame, or on the one from Dacia in middle of mirror.

Regards

Davor
Let justice be done, though the world perish!

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 11:18:47 pm »
Thank you, Davor, very interesting!  The inscription is also very cool.  If I am reading it correctly it translates to something like "I Wish You Good" (ΤΗ ΚΑΛΟ ΠΙKΑΛΩ). (any corrections welcome).

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity