Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wildwinds deletions  (Read 637 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Wildwinds deletions
« on: June 21, 2022, 09:11:11 am »
I had hoped that Wildwinds would be a stable database but it appears not so. Several years ago (2012?) I made note of a coin of Carausius on the site and when I came to re-check it in the light of a paper I am writing it appears to have disappeared sadly. Although an apparently mundane Pax of Carausius it did have some interesting features, but now I fear it is lost to the ether (from a cyber attack that meant recreating the database?). Have tried to locate via Web archive but failed. I should have noted the original source at the time, lesson learned.

Mauseus

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Wildwinds deletions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 07:01:31 pm »
It may have been due to the damage done by the cyber attack back in 2012, however, because so many wildwinds emperor pages had literally dozens of examples of the same coin, many very very poor, tiny, grotty images from the 1990s, I had a clear-out in May. An example was a common Hadrian coin, with 28 examples, 25 of the images only 250-300 px wide and the image scarcely visible. There is no point in keeping images like that on the server, when I could upload 10-15 nice coins for the same server space.

However, I possibly still have the image that you mean on one of my harddisks or early wildwinds DVDs (although I also disposed of several old DVDs last month when I tidied up my coin-DVD drawer). If you tell me the RIC number of the coin that you mean I can check whether I have it. Send me your email address via pm and I can send you what I can find.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 03:55:14 am »
Hi,

Message sent, thanks. Like I said in the initial post it was a seemingly mundane Carausius Pax but not in RIC, although might have been mis-attributed back then on the site.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 02:45:42 pm »
Hi Dane,
Thank you for your efforts tracking this down in your offline records. Much, much appreciated. I will share this with Sam tomorrow for his records for the RIC revision, along with the appropriate source data.
Regards,

Rich

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 05:00:18 pm »
Hi,

Meant to also ask, can this be restored to the database please as it is strictly neither RIC 476 (as it was classified, that would be vertical sceptre), nor 482 (transverse sceptre but listed for SC only in RIC).

The database is a valuable academic, as well as collector, resource.

Cheers,

Rich

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 08:49:47 am »
Meant to also ask, can this be restored to the database please as it is strictly neither RIC 476 (as it was classified, that would be vertical sceptre), nor 482 (transverse sceptre but listed for SC only in RIC).

Will do, but it'll have to wait until my next upload session (usually at the end of each month). I'll put it in as a 476/482 var.
I know that Sam has been working on his Carausius corpus for many years. I often send him coin images and can't wait for the book to be published, be it in print or online, because there are so many coins with "var" on wildwinds, and I hate using "xxx var" as a reference. (Hence the many coins, especially Greeks and provincials, using the name of the seller and item number, such as the ten AE coins on the Ephesus page using e.g. "Forum 81803" as a reference, or "CNG 25, 309" (CNG auction 25, lot 309)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity