Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian III, quadriga reverse  (Read 717 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Gordian III, quadriga reverse
« on: January 06, 2012, 06:46:33 pm »
I believe it's Gordian III but the listed weight is not corresponding to any of his quadriga coins I am finding.

It is not in hand yet but the seller says it is 22mm and weighs 11.2g and is partially silvered. About all I can make out is the S-C in the exergue.

Any ID help is appreciated.

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
Re: Gordian III, quadriga reverse
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 07:07:43 pm »
Could it be an AE tetradrachm from Alexandria.
David V McCallum II

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 07:16:42 pm »
Looks like Severus Alexander to my old eyes. My bet is that it is larger than the seller says, and possibly a dupondius. "Silvering" is inconsistent with the "SC" in the reverse exergue. Get back to us once you have it in hand.
PeteB

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:21:58 pm »
Hi,

Behind the radiate crown there looks to be the remnants of the legend .....EV ALE....... to confirm the Severus Alexander attribution. BMC 580 perhaps?

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:27:27 pm »
It could be Sev Alex, I was going by the sellers desc. I'll search his coins and see what I can find.

Would a tet have SC? And the silvering, if present, was throwing me off. I thought the weight and size and silvering unusual and it's one reason I bought it. Cheaply of course.

Thanks for the help.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 07:40:54 pm »
I think it is Severus Alexander. This one matches in weight. Maybe the seller's mistaken on the size and the silvering. We'll see.

RIC IV 497; BMCRE 580; Cohen 380

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 07:58:28 pm »
"Would a tet have SC?"
Possibly, if it was a Syrian Roman Provincial tetrdadrachm, but those usually have an eagle reverse. I have never seen one with a quadriga reverse.
PeteB

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »
"Would a tet have SC?"
Possibly, if it was a Syrian Roman Provincial tetrdadrachm, but those usually have an eagle reverse. I have never seen one with a quadriga reverse.
PeteB

I didn't think so. I asked because of the previous comment asking if it may be a tet.

Thank you all for the help.

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 03:10:42 pm »
I saw it on ebay, there is no existing quadriga right for Gordian in Roma, and even more, th quadriga for Gordian don't exist in dupondius. al informations provided here are correct, this coin is Severus Alexander RIC 497 ;)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 08:56:40 pm »
I saw it on ebay, there is no existing quadriga right for Gordian in Roma, and even more, th quadriga for Gordian don't exist in dupondius. al informations provided here are correct, this coin is Severus Alexander RIC 497 ;)

Yeah I think there is no doubt it's 497. But the silvering doesn't make sense. I verified with the seller who says there is definitely a silver coating still intact on parts of it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity