Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ptolemy?  (Read 680 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
Ptolemy?
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:00:42 am »
AE 10 mm  8.02 g

From the ptolemybronze.com site, I can see that this would be a type 3 reverse.  But I can't identify the left field mark, and can't figure out what exactly the obv head is decorated with.  Looking for help with these details and with ID of the specific ruler.  Thanks much.

Laney

Offline laney

• Caesar
Re: Ptolemy?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 09:01:42 am »
It's 19 mm (not 10)  Sorry.
Laney

bobgreen

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:39:42 am »
Hi laney,

Obv. must Zeus with Ammon Horn, the Zeus Laureates are usually larger than your coin. Reverse is eagle L, open wing, with head L. The left field is a monogram that we cannot read....So...that would make it a SV 1651, Ptolemy VIII, 146-116 BC

bob

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 12:33:46 pm »
Thanks Bob.  I guess that at first I didn't think the face on the obv was hairy enough to be Zeus!
Laney

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 02:38:12 pm »
Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt, Ptolemy II Philadelphos, 285 - 246 B.C., with Alexander head., Deified Head of Alexander the Great r, wearing elephant skin headdress, could be SVORONOS 382

regards
Salem

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 03:46:26 pm »
Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt, Ptolemy II Philadelphos, 285 - 246 B.C., with Alexander head., Deified Head of Alexander the Great r, wearing elephant skin headdress, could be SVORONOS 382

regards
Salem

Yes on the obverse - earlier elephantskin portrait type.  I can't identify the exact symbols at the elft of the eagle and therefore which catalog # it is.  Could be Ptolemy I or II - many possibilities depending on the exact symbols at left of the eagle.  Both kings issued coins between about 295BC and about 260BC that look like this and in this size.

PtolemAE 

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 03:52:06 pm »
Hi laney,

Obv. must Zeus with Ammon Horn, the Zeus Laureates are usually larger than your coin. Reverse is eagle L, open wing, with head L. The left field is a monogram that we cannot read....So...that would make it a SV 1651, Ptolemy VIII, 146-116 BC

bob

Not Zeus Ammon - elephantskin Alexander portrait and about 200 yrs earlier than Sv1651.  No lathing dimples and elephantskin headdress - 1st half of 3rd C. BC, Ptolemy I or II.   See the 'denomination series' page at www.ptolemybronze.com.

PtolemAE

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 04:06:55 pm »
Now I see it.  Couldn't figure out the headwear--but was considering lionskin or laureate.  This is the first of its kind for me.  Thank you all.
Laney

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 11:38:02 pm »
Now I see it.  Couldn't figure out the headwear--but was considering lionskin or laureate.  This is the first of its kind for me.  Thank you all.
Laney

GoodHope you'll get more - it's a popular type.  Once you recognize it from a clearer example you can see the type clearly and related coins with this portrait and denomination are frequently available in decent condition for modest prices.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity