Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine SIC X SIC XX aureus from Serdiko  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Constantine SIC X SIC XX aureus from Serdiko
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:38:59 pm »
Our friend serdiko has just listed this one (top coin below).

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

This is a cast copied from a coin that sold at Numis Lanz earlier this year (bottom coin below).

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Note the mark in front of Constantine's nose, the dot before the B on the mintmark, etc.

Ben

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Constantine SIC X SIC XX aureus from Serdiko
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 05:58:51 pm »
Yup. Hopeless.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:32:51 pm »
wow what a deal! why pay 13k at a auction house when you can wait for Serdiko to sell one on ebay for the half the price! And while your at it pick up this Agrippina for a bargain price of 2k!  ::)

I wanted to add that this makes absolutely no sense to me! Not long ago I listed a baseball card from the 1920's that turned out to be (unknowingly to me) an old reprint issue. Turns out the border is slightly(and I mean slight, you have to really know what your looking for) different.  Ebay pulled my listing almost immedietly after someone informed them. How is it that this guy(and other habitual fraudsters) continually lists fakes without this happening to him?
Adversus solem ne loquitor

gibfrog

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 07:05:30 am »
Another possibility is that both are struck/pressed from modern dies.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 11:44:56 am »
I don't think one coin is a cast of the other one because their flan shapes are different. The Serdiko coin may well be a cast of a specimen from the same dies (incl. die flaws), but not of this very coin.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 08:36:48 pm »
I don't think one coin is a cast of the other one because their flan shapes are different. The Serdiko coin may well be a cast of a specimen from the same dies (incl. die flaws), but not of this very coin.

But we have seen many cast (or struck/pressed from cast dies) fakes on these boards that have quite different flan shapes from the original. Flan shape is no guide to host/copy.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 12:06:30 pm »
Not a completely reliable one at least, that's correct. But if somebody copied the original Coinarchives specimen in order to produce the Serdiko coin, he would have had to add a part of the beaded border on the obverse at 4 to 5 o'clock.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity