Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Good references for Thasos tets?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
Good references for Thasos tets?
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:29:46 pm »
Hi folks,

Are there any good references (online preferred since I don't intend to collect these and invest in resources) for the Dionysus Thasos tetradrachms? I have acquired one but would like to study the variants, ancient forgeries and such.

I did see this one already
http://rg.ancients.info/thracetets/

Thanks!
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
Re: Good references for Thasos tets?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 02:53:36 pm »
Thanks! I've had a look through those, I'm wondering if anyone has done any sort of information website about these coins as well?
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:17:34 pm »
There's some material in print that may be worth getting. I did a four-part article for the Celator titled "Barbarism, Art, and Thracian Tetradrachms" between July and October 2004. It deals mostly with the more abstract "Thracian tetradrachms" but covers the Thasos tetradrachms as well. Kerry sells offprints, I think, or you can obtain photocopies for a reasonable fee from the ANA or ANS libraries. The books about these coins, I believe, are all in foreign languages.
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:35:39 pm »
There's some material in print that may be worth getting. I did a four-part article for the Celator titled "Barbarism, Art, and Thracian Tetradrachms" between July and October 2004. It deals mostly with the more abstract "Thracian tetradrachms" but covers the Thasos tetradrachms as well. Kerry sells offprints, I think, or you can obtain photocopies for a reasonable fee from the ANA or ANS libraries. The books about these coins, I believe, are all in foreign languages.

Thanks very much! I scoured my Celators but alas, I was not a subscriber then, I'll have to order a copy.

This forum is a great help, and I thank you!
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity