Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crowded Coin  (Read 1356 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Crowded Coin
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:32:42 pm »
Just added this coin to my ever so small Domitian as Caesar collection.

RIC V1087
Rome Mint, 79 AD
Obv - CAESAR AVG F DOMITIANVS COS VI; Head of Domitian, laureate, r.
Rev - PRINCEPS IVVENTVTIS; Vesta, std. l., with palladium and sceptre

Vesta is supposed to be holding a palladium in her right hand, but on this example the legend covers up the palladium completely. It is barely visible (if at all) under the legend. Most examples of the type clearly show it in her out-stretched hand. A note for an aureus of the type in the BM (#261) notes - 'palladium hardly visible, sceptre nearly vertical'. There is no illustration of the specimen, so I'm guessing mine is similar.

If anyone else would like to share any other coins with crowded designs and/or legends, feel free to post them here.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Crowded Coin
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:15:53 pm »
The CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE reverse must be one of the most crowded and badly designed ever.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:43:41 pm »
A mental absent die cutter must have engraved this coin:

Faustina jun., AD 147-176
AR - denarius
obv. FAVSTINA - AVGVSTA
        Bust, slightly draped on l. shoulder, hair decorated with two pearl necklets and a floral
        ribbon, chignon in neck.
rev. FECVNDITAS
       Fecunditas, in long garment, stg. facing, head r., holding sceptre in raised r. hand and
       infant in l. arm.
RIC III, 677, C.99, BMC 91-95
F+

The poor child is headless. This is obviously not a die break but the die cutter has just forgotten it!

Best regards

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:35:46 pm »
More likely, I think, the baby's head was correctly engraved but just not struck up on this coin.  This sort of misstrike, eliminating letters or details from a correctly engraved die, are quite common, due to filled die or whatever.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity