Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: cleaning Greeks  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
cleaning Greeks
« on: April 10, 2007, 02:52:59 pm »
Didn't we have a posting within a posting about cleaning greeks?
I seem to recall mention of using a scalpel to scrape away at the bumps and knobs of the surface and not to soak the coin in DW or in Olive Oil in order not to mess up the lighter patina between the ridges, thus better highliting the features of the coin.  Ring a bell with anyone?  Even better, would some of our more experienced members care to share a hint or two?
Thanks
Raymond   
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Mark Farrell

Re: cleaning Greeks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 05:58:49 pm »
Raymond,

I'm going to take a pass on the Greeks. You would think that they would be the same as Roman, but I haven't found that to be true. Perhaps I've tried with the wrong Greeks, i.e., coins that were unlikely to improve anyway, no matter what I did.

I think Kevin Sandes has had more success with Greeks, esp Black Sea colonies, than anyone I know. He's the guy for input on this one -- a Greek coin in an uncleaned batch give me the willies.

Mark

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 01:17:54 am »
Ave!

Raymond,

I'm going to take a pass on the Greeks. You would think that they would be the same as Roman, but I haven't found that to be true. Perhaps I've tried with the wrong Greeks, i.e., coins that were unlikely to improve anyway, no matter what I did.

I think Kevin Sandes has had more success with Greeks, esp Black Sea colonies, than anyone I know. He's the guy for input on this one -- a Greek coin in an uncleaned batch give me the willies.

Mark

Speak of the Devil, and up he jumps!  ;)

Ray, Mark's right on the money - Cleaning Greeks is another ball of wax, eh? Unlike Roman Ae coins that tend to have a certain mix of copper/tin (yes, I know that is a very broad statement), early Greek Ae coins were all over the place when it came to the alloy mixture. Hense, cleaning Greek coins is always an adventure.

See Below.

As seen, these Greek coins appear in all sorts of different conditions. I'd begin by dry cleaning, just a common dental pick. NO BOILS! Too many of these coins have a very dry/brittle patina that will be removed/softened by boils or even distilled water soaks.

Each coin needs to judged on an individual basis. Probe the surface of each coin. What my little experience has shown is that that mechanical cleaning for these coins works best. For whatever reason, I have never found one ancient Greek issue that responded well to electroysis.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 01:03:46 am »
Didn't we have a posting within a posting about cleaning greeks?
I seem to recall mention of using a scalpel to scrape away at the bumps and knobs of the surface and not to soak the coin in DW or in Olive Oil in order not to mess up the lighter patina between the ridges, thus better highliting the features of the coin.  Ring a bell with anyone?  Even better, would some of our more experienced members care to share a hint or two?
Thanks
Raymond   

Here's the link you are looking for.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=35467.0

-Adam

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:35:23 am »
I have a couple hundred greek uncleaned. When I first started with uncleaned coins I was totally fascinated by the Greek coins. I was lucky enough to get some easily cleaned ones. Now they scare me honestly because of some recent failures. That and my focus has changed some. (If anyone is interested I'll unload some of these Greeks cheaply). One thing about the Greek coins that I've noticed is that the entire flan can be crystallized. No real metal whatsoever. They also seem to chip out around the edges easily by the time they get to me. I still think the ancient Greek coins are some of the most beautiful ever struck. I'm just not willing to clean them anymore.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity