Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

SNG

<< < (10/10)

helvetica:
The numbers in brackets after the weight are usually the actual Paris numbers, either the number given as "Fonds Général" in individual coin information the gallica website, but in some other works by other authors, they refer to the numbers in the fabulous, old "Inventaires" compiled and hand-written by Babelon, Dieudonné etc back in the 19th century.

A note to Sellers (something that always annoys me): There is no such thing as an "SNG Paris" reference number. It is either "SNG France" nnn, or "Paris" nnn. And ne'er the twain shall meet !

Joe Sermarini:
I use SNG BnF and I use SNG Delepierre (even though the Delepierre collection is in the BnF). I find references to "Paris" that are clearly not from SNG BnF or SNG Delepierre. Some are in older refs. Some seem to identify coins outside the published geographic areas. I suppose they are some sort of museum number. In any case, I do not use them.  For that reason, I would never use "Paris" for SNG BnF (or SNG France).

Altamura:

--- Quote from: helvetica on March 10, 2023, 06:21:35 pm ---... The numbers in brackets after the weight are usually the actual Paris numbers, either the number given as "Fonds Général" ...
--- End quote ---
That's it  :), thank you!

--- Quote from: helvetica on March 10, 2023, 06:21:35 pm ---... There is no such thing as an "SNG Paris" reference number. It is either "SNG France" nnn, or "Paris" nnn. ...
--- End quote ---
Perhaps this is not so clear :-\. On the title page of these books you indeed always find "SYLLOGE NUMMORUM GRAECORUM FRANCE", but what will happen when e.g. Marseille will publish the collection within the SNG?

For the Tübingen collection in Germany you have for example the analogous title "Sylloge Nummorum Deutschland - Münzsammlung der Universität Tübingen", but nobody is speaking of "SNG Deutschland", it is always cited as "SNG Tübingen". It is the same with the Munich collection and the Pfälzer Privatsammlungen.
Here for citation the level below the country is used and then "SNG Delepierre" and "SNG Paris" are not completely wrong  :).

Regards

Altamura

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version