Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Legros, Monnaies Feodales Francaises - Need Reference and Coin Lookup Help  (Read 529 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Legros, Dominique. Monnaies Féodales Françaises. Vol. 1. (NP., 1984).  I believe the NP means not published, yet this reference is used by some dealers.

I hope to obtain a copy of Legros but none are offered for sale. If anyone has it, sees it for sale, can send a pdf, can send a copy for me to scan...please let me know. Thanks.

I have a coin which is apparently otherwise unpublished but has been identified as Legros 312. I am not sure the description is entirely correct either. If anyone has a copy of Legros. Please help verify or correct this attribution.  Thanks.

France, Provincial, Duchy of Normandy William the Conqueror, 1035 - 1087
ME99730. Silver denier, Legros 312; cf. Leu Numismatik web auction 9 (7 Sep 2019), lot 1543 and 1544, web auction 7 (23 Feb 2019), lot 1741; Dumas -; Poey d'Avant -, VF, unusually well struck, weight 0.764 g, maximum diameter 19.1 mm, die axis 0o, France, Provincial, Duchy of Normandy William the mint, obverse + NORMANNA, cross pattée, pellets in each quarter, within linear inner border; reverse Pointed pediment with a cross at each corner, surrounded by the letters P-A-X in circles
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Bump
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
I found a very similar coin in Dumas...

FRANCE, Provincial. Normandie (duché). Robert II Courteheuse. As count, before 1087. AR Denier (20mm, 0.93 g, 8h). Rouen mint. ROB[...] COMES, cross pattée; pellets in angles / Norman-style two-towered cathedral façade; nave decorated with cross in pediment, and surmounted by cross on globe; pellet in pediment of towers; retrograde S and S flanking nave with central cross. Dumas Group B/C, pl. XIX, 17; Legros 338 var. (obv. legend); Duplessy, Féodales –; Poey d'Avant –; Roberts -

So, this point I am not Even sure if it is William or RobertHelp....
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
I've also been stymied by references to Legros. Never seen the book. NP indeed!  I have two early Norman coins (Richard Sans Peur, Henri I Beauclerc) with Legros as one of the few references. 

I sketched out both sides of the coin in the photo, as line drawings are the principal manner of depicting coin types in references like Poey d'Avant and RobertsPoey would be the reference of choice, but despite a multitude of coins depicted, I just don't see the one in question; not even in the section described as 'coins with completely barbaric legends.'

But there is good news, I hazard to say: there is a coin (actually half a coin) in Roberts that is uncannily similar. Henry I #4838. 
The obverse is not depicted, but the reverse is described as two triangles upward, one down.  Roberts' source code is R.413.11, which translates to Revue Numismatique 1906, plate XIII, 11th coin on the plate.

Hope this helps.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Revue Numismatique 1906 - Feudal French Coinage of Normandy
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 07:21:13 am »
I found RN 1906 (it's on Google Play).
The 4th quarter publication, pages numbered sequentially, with page 508 having plate XIII. 
It is from an article by V. Luneau: Deniers normands inédits du XIe siècle. pp. 306-316.  My coin is #19 (plate coin #8) and yours is #22 (plate coin #11).

PS: Thanks for updating Numiswiki with Dumas Monnaies normandes text and plates. Now I have them. Huzzah!  Your coin is plate XX #15 (same drawing as that of Luneau) with some resemblance to #25 (photo of an "unidentified" coin) and mine is plate XX #13.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
BnF Gallicahttps://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b113202757  The reverse is inverted, and there is almost no description of the coin, and no numismatic references in their catalog at http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb44982610p

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Thanks for Anaximander.  I think you have provided enough for me to list it. I will work on it today. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity