Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rome FEL TEMP REPARATIO phoenix type  (Read 387 times)

Offline agord

• Consul
Rome FEL TEMP REPARATIO phoenix type
« on: July 30, 2022, 12:38:51 am »
I received this ugly but interesting coin today.
Obv: D N CONSTAN_TIVS P F AVG pearl-diadem, draped, cuirassed bust left
Rev: FEL TEMP REPARATIO Phoenix on mound, RT in ex
I have been collecting FTR coinage for over a decade and this is the first phoenix coin from the Rome mint I have been lucky enough to acquire. As a bonus Ric does not list this variation, it lists 'on mound' and 'on globe' with a star in left field but only 'on globe' without the field mark.
I would love to see some other Phoenix types from the Rome mint if any of you have one.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: Rome FEL TEMP REPARATIO phoenix type
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 10:36:08 am »
Congrats on a tough type to find. Below is a picture from Failmezger's "Roman Bronze Coins: From Paganism to Christianity 294-364 A.D."

Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Rome FEL TEMP REPARATIO phoenix type
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 07:20:10 am »
Very nice coin.

Neat flames from the top of the pyre/nest.

I think yours may have a very faint star in the upper left....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity