Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Which Pius emperor?  (Read 404 times)

Offline Mahmud G

• Consul
Which Pius emperor?
« on: July 27, 2022, 05:26:30 pm »
Hello

A Roman brockage coin obverse with a legible “PIVS”, would you help about the emperor?

Sincerely

Offline Laurentius

• Praetorian
  • Laurentius
    • My Gallery
Re: Which Pius emperor?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 03:12:19 am »
Hello Sincerely,

the spelling of the legend ending in "AX" is atypical for an Imperial Roman coinage.
I'm betting on a provincial issue of Caracalla shortly after the elevation to Augustus.
Maybe an "AEXX" from Alexandria. If possible, please include a diameter and the weight,
this makes it a little easier to determine. Even a tiny hint on the Rev could give the decisive clue.

br Laurentius

Offline Mahmud G

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 04:27:44 am »
Hello Laurentius,

Thanks for your first comment on this coin, i couldn’t attach the reverse side due to the capacity; i will attach it under a new topic “which pius emperor 2” right now. The diameter is 25 mm and nearly 10 gr.

Sincerely

Offline Mahmud G

• Consul
Which Pius emperor 2
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 04:29:10 am »

Offline Laurentius

• Praetorian
  • Laurentius
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 05:23:42 am »
Ok, I see it now, thanks for the attachment. An overstamp during the embossing process.
According to what can be seen from the obverse, it is probably a provincial coinage of Caracalla.
In this case an AE25.

For example, Elagabalus also had the surname "PIUS", but I think Caracalla fits the portrait better.

have a nice Day
Laurentius

Offline Mahmud G

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 07:48:24 am »
 Then I record it as Caracalla.

Thank you very very much for the information.

Best wishes.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 01:00:56 pm »
Hi MG,

I am a moderator of this section of Forum. I merged your 2 topics regarding this coin.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity