Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Tessera or Amulet Harpocrates? from Caesarea Maritima  (Read 398 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Lead Tessera or Amulet Harpocrates? from Caesarea Maritima
« on: July 10, 2022, 08:18:29 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is another tessera or amulet from Caesarea Maritima, unfortunately not too well preserved.  At first I thought it might be a Chnoubis figure with human-head but the right arm is pretty clear.  Then I thought it could be Chnoubis with body of Harpocrates but I have not been able to find any examples of this, even though I seem to remember seeing one once.  I looked through Bonner, BMC, and NYMMoA online collections.  The serpentine lower portion of the figure is probably just the bent knee.  The possible reading of IAW (IAO) would fit well with the type of Harpocrates seated on lotus as an amuletic formula, but any other ideas, corrections, or parallels are welcome.  Thanks, V-Drome.

BCC LT95
Lead Tessera
Caesarea Maritima
1st - 3rd century CE
Obv: Harpocrates? seated left, knees bent,
right hand to mouth, left hand lowered behind.
In field to right, A P? or I, in field to left W, or M,
or Σ.  If the figure is indeed Harpocrates the
intended inscription may well be IAW.  Another
possibility is a human-headed Chnoubis figure
or some other unidentified type.
Rev:  Blank
PB 14.2 x 1.5mm. 1.54gm. Axis: NA
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1970

All coins are guaranteed for eternity