Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anepigraphic Rectangular Lead Seal with Hermes? Caesarea Maritima  (Read 377 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Hi all.  Here is another roughly rectangular lead seal, no inscription, but a figure advancing left that I think must be Hermes.  To me, the figure appears to be nude with a cloak (chamlys?) on left shoulder and possibly winged boots, as well.  The right hand extends off-flan where you might expect to see him holding a bag.  Any other opinions, corrections, or confirmation would be most appreciated.  Figural representations on these small Roman seals (bag seals?) seems to be quite the exception from what I have seen.  Thanks, again.  Jimi

BCC LSR22
Rectangular Lead Seal
Roman 1st-3rd Century CE
Obv: Figure, possibly Hermes?, advancing
to left, naked, wearing chlamys? on left
shoulder, right hand extended off-flan. 
Rev: Blank
1.65 x 0.8 x 0.4cm 2.85gm. Axis:NA
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1971

All coins are guaranteed for eternity