Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare silver sestertii and other Imperatorials  (Read 937 times)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Rare silver sestertii and other Imperatorials
« on: May 24, 2022, 12:45:54 am »
I've added several rare Silver Sestertii and other Imperatorial coins to my Roman Republican gallery.  A few very important coins, including: a plate coin from Sear's History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators (my 2nd or 3rd plate coin from this book) with a 1909 provenance; and an important "mistake" from the Borghesi collection, with a verifiable provenance to before 1808!  Link to my Gallery is below.  Please have a look.  Comments are encouraged.   ;) 

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Rare silver sestertii and other Imperatorials
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 08:30:53 am »
Great additions Michael.  Regardless of what some people say, I think provenance is going to be a very important factor for collectors going forward.  Well done!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 08:51:43 am »
Thanks, Jay!  Provenance hunting has practically become a second hobby for me.  Even if it hadn't taken on added significance because of import restrictions etc., I'd probably still enjoy provenance research.  The Borghesi addition to my gallery was particularly fun research, requiring lots of translation to confirm the history and description error.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 06:28:38 pm »
The research is as impressive as the acquisitions,, as usual!
   My pet theory on AR sestertii is that, despite their seeming utility as a "half-ish-y" day's pay, perhaps the reality is similar to ours: by the age that you can readily put a half-day of pay into a tiny coin, you can barely see it.  Apparently, according to the late numismatist & ophthalmologist Dr. Jay Galst, the age of onset for nearsightedness has not changed nearly as much as life-expectancy.  So, perhaps 45 to 55 year old Romans found them just as hard to read as Borghesi.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 07:32:57 pm »
Thanks, Paul! 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity