Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Catalogue of Byzantine Seals is now freely available for download  (Read 867 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Catalogue of Byzantine Seals is now freely available for download
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 05:15:17 am »
And also, don't forget to consult their searchable database: https://www.doaks.org/resources/seals/byzantine-seals#b_start=0

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 08:54:03 am »
Excellent!

Hmm, I only have hard copies of 1 -5.  Two more I need to add to my library!

My current search method is flipping through pages in the hard copies. If anyone has any hints on how to best use the online search, please share.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 10:15:07 pm »
I usually convert the PDF books over to searchable PDF by using Adobe Acrobat's OCR capabilities.  Works like a charm.  The online database works as well, but I don't think they have all the seals available...

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 03:29:09 am »
I am pretty sure the online database has all the seals that are published in parts 1-6 available. But the collection is far greater, and they are still acquiring new pieces, so new pieces keep being added.

I think flipping through pages is not time-effective if you are not looking for anything specific. So if you read 'MAKEDONON', it definitely pays flipping through the Macedon pages. Also note that DO parts 1-5 only have seals with geographic references. If your seal only has a name, or name and office, it's not in there.

DO Part 6 is devoted to imperial and patriarchal seals. Part 7 to anonymous seals with iconographic imagery on both sides. Both are primary references for that type of seal.

Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity