Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal #2  (Read 964 times)

Magistros

Byzantine Seal #2
« on: July 01, 2021, 01:24:11 pm »
Hi, would anyone have any ideas as to a reading of the legend on this 12th century (?) seal? Unfortunately it’s quite worn. On the obverse is the Virgin Mary, on the reverse I can make out:

+CΘΡΑ
ΓΙC….
THN…
….
…KWM (?)….

Thanks

Magistros

Re: Byzantine Seal #2
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 01:26:11 pm »
Photos of the reverse

Offline iolkia

• Consul
    • my coins
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 11:53:20 am »
Hello,

My guess would be: "CΦΡΑΓΙC ΕΙΜΙ ΤΗΝ ΓΡΑΦΗΝ..." I am the seal ... the writing. Perhaps "I am the seal I guard the writing". But I can't read anything after the N in the fourth line.

Regards,
Iolkia

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 02:25:16 pm »
Yes, I think this seal has an anonymous legend. Expected would be OV (two letters or the ligature) at the start, "whose" to compose a legend that translates along the lines of "whose seal I am - look at the document to know". Several verbs are used in these legends, that are always 12-syllables.
Gert

Magistros

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 02:31:53 pm »
Thanks Gert and Iolkia! Would it be correct to date this seal to the 11th/12th century?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 04:53:26 am »
Yes, I'd say last quarter 11th century.
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity