Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unpublished Mamaea from Aegeae, Cilicia?  (Read 864 times)

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Unpublished Mamaea from Aegeae, Cilicia?
« on: July 22, 2020, 03:49:47 am »
Dear Forum members,

yet another coin that puzzles me. Maybe you can help.

AE, 34 mm, 18.30 grm.

Obv.: Draped bust right, IOYL MAMEA CEB

Rv: Draped bust of Athena, ADR ALEZANDROYP[...]WN, G(?)OS in field

The rv. legend does not leave much room for other cities. I only found Alexandroupolis legends for Mallus and Aegeae, Cilicia, but the Athena reverse seems to direct to Aegeae.

Also the dating - GOS  seems strange since BOS  and EOS  coins from Aegeae are known, also for Mamea, but no GOS date. This may, however just be an issue of the coin which may have read EOS, originally.

I could not find this coin either in Haymann nor in RPC. Maybe I am missing something. And maybe somebody can help.

Thank you

Thilo

Offline Charles M

• Consul
Re: Unpublished Mamaea from Aegeae, Cilicia?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:57:09 pm »
Hello Thilo,

I have the same coin, though not as good as yours.: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-163363

It is from Aegeae in Cilicia and is unpublished I believe.  For reverse type see: SNG Tahberer 195 (for reverse type, Severus Alexander)

Charles M.

Offline Thilo

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 06:24:57 pm »
Thank you, Charles, this is very helpful. Does SNG Tahberer 195 (I don't have the book) also have the GOC dating? Haymann has no GOC coins, at all.

Offline Charles M

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 10:53:52 pm »
SNG Tahberer is available free on-line.  Just click on the Numiswiki link and it will take you to the download.

The date on Tahberer 159 is not clear and it is not specified in the accompanying text for the coin. 

As I read it,  :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_Omicron: :GreeK_Sigma: is year 273=226/227 AD, which corresponds to the reign of Severus Alexander/Julia Mamaea.

Charles

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 11:35:14 pm »
This type is not known to RPC either.  Please submit them both here:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/feedback/create

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Thilo

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 11:37:24 am »
Tom,

done. At least for mine.

Best regards

Thilo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity