Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: small thick roman bronze coin  (Read 1576 times)

Michal K2

small thick roman bronze coin
« on: January 14, 2018, 01:10:17 pm »
please help with ID

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: small thick roman bronze coin
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 02:05:26 pm »

Not Roman, but Greek:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=250285

ILLYRIA, Dyrrhachion. Early-mid 1st century BC.

Pekka K

Michal K2

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 02:30:30 pm »
Thank you for quick reply. My first ancient greek coin :)

Michal K2

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 07:55:31 am »
any idea of the value?

It is not for sale, I just ask to know the rarity

MK

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 08:01:35 am »
You have read the estimate in Pekka's link? I think your coin has only a value for yourself, not for the market.

Jochen

Michal K2

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 04:32:18 pm »
I didn't see the estimated price because I would have to upgrade my account for 15 euro/month

ok, different way - is this a rare coin?

thank you

Mike

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 04:50:31 pm »
Hi Michal,

Where the estimate is included as part of the original description for the coin then that information remains. You do not need to pay to see it. However estimates can be a very unreliable indicators of value because there is no consistency between auction house in how they are set. There is at least one auction house for example which sets its estimates well below the prices its coins realise. I ignore its estimates.

What you have to pay to see are the actual values realised at auction, excluding auction fees which vary from one auction firm to another. If you intend to buy lots of coins then it is a small price to pay to get information which can aid you you establish what you might be prepared to pay for something. if not, then it might not be feasible for you. Only you can judge that.

I recommend you take the time to read the FORVM rules. Discussion of value of coins is generally prohibited. The rules are strictly observed here and designed to aid the discussion as well as people new to the hobby but easy for newcomers to fall afoul of them if they do not read them first.

I do not have a gauge for the relative rarity of your particular coin. However there are only a handful of examples of similar coins which I could find on acsearch. Having said this, auction records can be deceptive in this respect. The auction records are biased toward higher end coins which auction houses sell and therefore coins which are common can in fact appear scarce if consulting auction records alone.

Peter

Michal K2

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 04:00:39 am »
Hi

Yes, there is a "free" estimated price in the description, thanks.

Personally I don't understand why people mincing with a value of the coin or artifacts. What is wrong when I know what I have and also know its value? There is nothing bad in money. For me it is mostly a measure of rarity.

You all buy and sell coins but don't want to talk about value. I find it hypocritical. But don't feel offended, it is just my general opinion about artifacts market.

Mike   

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 04:28:55 am »
When you joined, you were deemed to accept the rules of participating on this forum. We do not set them. The forum has an owner who set and maintains those rules. Those rules have been in place for many years. For whatever criticism you might level at the rules, this forum's membership has flourished whilst many (not limited to numismatics) have not.

Rule number one is BE NICE.

Accusing those ('you all') trying to help you of hypocrisy over something you personally do not like about the rules is not going to win you any friends here or volunteers to help you with your ID requests. It is plain rude. If you do not like the rules then tough luck, I am afraid. They are not going anywhere.

Peter

Offline zoser

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 07:37:19 am »
I completely agree on Peterpil19 , and as Jochen said too, this is neither a RARE coin neither a well keept one,  so I wouldn't pay nothing for it, but way of contrast, as Jochen Saïd it must have a personally value, no a business one.

Michal K2

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 11:36:44 am »
I didn't want to insult anybody which I wrote in my post. I just showed my point of view regarding general collector environment and wanted to hear yours, but anyway maybe this is not a place for this.

Thank you for help.

Mk

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 04:37:46 pm »
Discussing points of view, is welcome. Discussions, even robust discussions, are welcome. But we never make it personal.  Our posts were meant to help you. It is easy for a newcomer to fall afoul of the rules (many of us probably did) without having read them. So please stay.

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity