Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Attribution for this coin  (Read 873 times)

julio v

Attribution for this coin
« on: June 04, 2016, 07:37:20 pm »
Many thanks in advance

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Attribution for this coin
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 07:50:04 pm »
Looks like Julian II.
PeteB

julio v

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 07:57:16 pm »
Yes it is. But I couldnt find the reverse in Sear.

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 01:07:43 pm »
Sear is not the best book for identifying late Roman bronzes. You really want RIC for a physical book, but when I still collected these types I found that the best resources are WildWinds (Link points to the Julian II page) and RomanCoin.info. RomanCoin.info has a spreadsheet that is linked(click on the "VOT X" image in the reverses table) that you can open in Excel and filter by reverse type and by ruler(Julian II) to narrow down the possibilities. Then you need to try and figure out what the text on the coin is, the bottom of the reverse especially as this is the mintmark and is crucial for fully identifying it. Feel free to post back here of course if you have questions but you'll do yourself a favor if you can figure it out on your own.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 02:45:19 pm »
Julian struck two types in his coin reform of 362.  A large (AE1) SECVRITAS REIPVB and this smaller (AE3) VOT X MVLT XX.  It was struck at all of his mints so you will have to work a bit to get a better view of the mint mark

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

julio v

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 06:07:32 am »
Many thanks Jordan, Shawn. Your help is much appreciated.

Julio

All coins are guaranteed for eternity