Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A new variety from Caesarea Cappadocia  (Read 857 times)

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
A new variety from Caesarea Cappadocia
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:07:12 am »
I haven't been buying anything at all recently but just couldn't pass on this one.  Both dies are new to me - so this is an addition to those listed in my book.

The obverse legend seems odd with an A instead of a E

Province  Cappadocia
City  Caesarea
Size (mm)  19
Weight (g)  4.81
Die Axis  0
Ob. Leg.  M OPA[L] DIAD[O ]V K
Ob. Desc.  Bare headed and draped bust right
Rev. LegMHTPO KAICAP ET [B ]
Rev. Desc.  Distyle shrine in which Mt. Argaeus

Just about every other example of these coins I've seen have had the legends so worn as to be unreadable - I think the same was true for those who wrote all the reference works too, so it is nice to get one that is reasonably clear

Malcolm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity