Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Institute of Archaeology and Museum Help  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Institute of Archaeology and Museum Help
« on: September 13, 2008, 01:14:01 pm »
Dear Ancient Coin Enthusiasts and Experienced Researchers,

I am trying to locate an image of an unpublished tetradrachm of Thasian type on behalf of Prof. David MacDonald.  The coin in question resides in the collections of the Institute of Archaeology and Museum (AIM) and is listed in Ilya Prokopov’s Die Silberpragung der Insel Thasos und die Tetradrachmen des "Thasischen Typs" vom 2.-1. Jahrhundert v. Chr. (Berlin, 2006), p. 143, no. 978 (Sofia AIM 7435: unpubliziert).  Hopefully the following link will also give you the necessary information:

http://books.google.com/books?id=rRf3iAJesesC&pg=PA143&lpg=PA143&dq=%22Sofia+AIM+7435&source=web&ots=av6pnHxuOG&sig=S2lFmAemXiVe1TBgLm5NgR194pU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

You can visit the museum’s website at:

http://aim.sofianet.net/main.php?lang=ENG

MacDonald is greatly interested in this strange variant for an important article project on these coin types.  However, the lack of an image of this particular piece threatens to create a large hole in his workHis repeated requests, as well as mine, have so far been unanswered by AIM. 

Is there anyone familiar with the museum or knows someone on the staff who might be of assistance?  I am starting to fear that the only real effective way to proceed in this matter is to actually talk to them in person, an impossibility for myself. 

Thank you sincerely in advance for any help you can provide in this troubling matter!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan USA

All coins are guaranteed for eternity