Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Commodus Pautalia countermarked  (Read 1875 times)

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
Commodus Pautalia countermarked
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:50:49 am »
    I recently received this interesting coin, which I believe is a very worn Commodus / Tyche from Pautalia

It is countermarked with a Δ on the obverse and NIKO on the reverse (respectfully Howgego 782 and 553).   Howgego explains these countermarks as: a  denominational mark on the obverse and the city attesting to its worth, Nikopolis ad Istrum, on the reverse. These countermarks were applied to worn-out coins.  Howgego noted only specimens from Nikopolis and Hadrianopolis (sic none from Pautalia) with either Septimius Severus or Commodus busts. 

I have tentatively made the ID of (Ruzicka, Die Munzen von Pautalia p.80 #203; Varbanov II (E) 4529 depicted, obv Md) cf. attached Varbanov scan.  The style of the profile and the shape of the cuirassed part of the bust make me fairly certain that this is Varbanov’s Md obv; this obverse is not depicted in Ruzicka’s plates.  This reverse is not in CNG archives or coinarchives.

The seller listed it as Septimius Severus from Nikopolis, but I think it is certainly Commodus, and different in style from the Nikopolis dies of Commodus.  I can make out three letters,  …] ΛIA […, to the right of Tyche’s head, which would match the legend of Ruzicka 201. and cf. attached Varbanov scan

This coin was very harshly cleaned, but interesting as an unlisted type with the Nikopolis countermark.

If anyone has an example of this reverse die; Pautalia Tyche issued under Caelius Servilianus (Stein; perhaps 186-7 AD?); I would be appreciative to see it, countermarked or not.

John Wrenn

***the reverse legend is as follows for Ruzicka 203:
      HΓΕ KAI CEPOYEI ΛIANOY OYΛ : in exergue ΠAVTAΛI
                                                                                AC

All coins are guaranteed for eternity