Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Latest additions to my gallery...  (Read 57915 times)

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Latest additions to my gallery...
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2015, 03:11:19 pm »
nice small silver  +++
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Neapolis
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2016, 03:12:37 pm »
thank you gentlemen!   :)

my latest acquisition is a bronze from Neapolis in Campania featuring Apollo and the man-faced bull.
it is a common type but i thought this was a nice one, with the mfb's details unusually clear and well-centered.
enjoy (and please hit 'Position +' for proper order)...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-127160

~ Peter

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Neapolis
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2016, 03:16:45 pm »
thank you gentlemen!   :)

my latest acquisition is a bronze from Neapolis in Campania featuring Apollo and the man-faced bull.
it is a common type but i thought this was a nice one, with the mfb's details unusually clear and well-centered.
enjoy (and please hit 'Position +' for proper order)...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-127160

~ Peter

Nice piece .. :)

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2016, 03:43:08 pm »
Nice one, Peter!  Is it I or  :Greek_Xi_2: behind?

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2016, 05:43:50 pm »
Nice one, Peter!  Is it I or  :Greek_Xi_2: behind?

thanks Nick!
i can't be sure about the symbol behind Apollo. i went with I because i wasn't aware of anything similar. however, the top crossbar seems longer than normal so maybe it is :Greek_Xi_2: .
how does that change the attribution, if at all?

thanks in advance,
~ Peter

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2016, 07:04:50 pm »
If it is truly I behind Apollo/ IS below MFB with nothing in ex, then it is Taliercio IIIa.21 (she cited two examples)

If it is  :Greek_Xi_2: behind/ IS below MFB with nothing in ex, it is unlisted by Taliercio, but it is listed by Graziano as "Graziano 423".  These have been appearing a lot recently so I think it is this type, and examples weren't discovered when Taliercio did her study.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2016, 08:09:43 pm »
thanks Nick.
there definitely is nothing in ex, and the IS is quite clear, but the coin is a bit rough where this symbol should be so i may never know for sure (damn, i keep finding these 'tweeners'). i didn't think there was anything there until i got the coin in hand, although i think i can see the top half of an I, but the defining bits would be beneath that.   :(

curiously,
~ Peter

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2016, 08:15:49 pm »
I believe the "I" coins never feature "lined" tops and bottoms, just a straight line, but the Taliercio plate is very dark.  I can look at other "I" varieties and confirm that tomorrow.  Also, the style of the obverse is consistent with the  :Greek_Xi_2: types.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2016, 08:21:02 pm »
it could be a straight line too!  lol
this coin is very dark, with an almost black patina.
i'm going to compare it to some more online images just to make sure my eyes aren't crossing and that there really is something there at all.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2016, 03:27:54 pm »
So all the "I" coins I examined are simple "I" forms with no crossbar.  This coin is therefore either a  :Greek_Xi_2: variety or a simple horizontal dash, but the second, smaller horizontal line indicates a  :Greek_Xi:.  These are often poorly struck and sometimes it looks like three dots, which are actually the ends of the horizontal lines of the  :Greek_Xi_2:.

Helpful links (I don't want to crowd your gallery page with other coins!):

I type:

https://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/neapolis-part-ii/attachment/301009/

Horizontal dash type (has something in ex.):

https://manfacedbulls.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/659var.jpg

:Greek_Xi_2: types:

https://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/neapolis-part-ii/coin-86/  (I think this is your variety)

https://manfacedbulls.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/677crop.jpg

So, if you want to be really fancy, you could say it is "Graziano 423; MSP I, 364," and you would be the first person ever to catalog a coin in one's collection with Potamikon number :)

Hope this is helpful!

Nick

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2016, 04:13:04 pm »
So all the "I" coins I examined are simple "I" forms with no crossbar.  This coin is therefore either a  :Greek_Xi_2: variety or a simple horizontal dash, but the second, smaller horizontal line indicates a  :Greek_Xi:.  These are often poorly struck and sometimes it looks like three dots, which are actually the ends of the horizontal lines of the  :Greek_Xi_2:.

:Greek_Xi_2: types:

https://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/neapolis-part-ii/coin-86/  (I think this is your variety)

browsing through your site i landed on this same coin as the most likely candidate. and i agree that the portraiture on the :Greek_Xi_2: types is closer to my coin than most. however Sambon 659 is described as having an I with crossbars and nothing in exergue, and this leaves me curious. unfortunately 659 is not illustrated.

So, if you want to be really fancy, you could say it is "Graziano 423; MSP I, 364," and you would be the first person ever to catalog a coin in their collection with Potamikon number :)

Hope this is helpful!

very helpful Nick, thank you. and the temptation to be the first to quote Potamikon as a source is just too irresistible!   ;)

gratefully,
~ Peter

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2016, 04:20:37 pm »
Sambon 659 is actually a Z behind Apollo, and Taliercio corrected his mistake (presumably) when she examined the specimen he cited (Taliercio IIIa.11).

Glad you are using the Potamikon number!!!

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2016, 04:27:05 pm »
Sambon 659 is actually a Z behind Apollo, and Taliercio corrected his mistake (presumably) when she examined the specimen he cited (Taliercio IIIa.11).

well that just about seals it then.
so can we safely state that this type is unlisted in Sambon?

Quote from: Nick
Glad you are using the Potamikon number!!!

8)

~ Peter

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2016, 04:32:56 pm »
Yes, your coin isn't listed by Sambon or Taliercio, though it would fall under the more general HN Italy typeSambon catalogs similar coins under his no. 673-77.

My guess is a new  (post 1987) hoard was discovered which accounts for the new type, though I'm not entirely sure where Graziano noticed the first one.  He should list it, but I don't have his work on me at home. He might have uploaded it to academia if you want to check.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2016, 05:13:35 pm »
Edit: Graziano doesn't list this type either!  I'll have to correct my catalog. Graziano repeats Sambon's mistake in his listing no. 391.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2016, 06:25:50 pm »
So the plate for Graziano 423 is your coin variety, but Graziano's description is wrong, claiming there is a mark in ex. that isn't there (which would make it Sambon 677). We corrected Graziano's mistake, accounting for your new variety (see HJB 58282) and listing Sambon 677 separately.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2016, 04:53:21 pm »
thanks Nick, i think i've got all that sorted out.   8)

here's my latest coin, a weird little bronze from Corinth i recently got at auction...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-127783

normally i would never have looked twice at this beat up little coin, but it was sold as being a very rare and unpublished type from Taras, with a hippocamp obverse and what seems to be Phalanthos swimming with a dolphin on the reverse.
and while i was almost certain it was not Tarentine, i did think it might be a coin from a neighboring city in Calabria or Apulia, so i decided to get it as a project.
thanks to the diligence of a friend i discovered that not only it is not from Taras, but it isn't even from Magna Graecia. it is not a hippocamp, it is not Phalanthos, nor is it particularly rare. in fact it isn't really even Greek!
this is a Roman provincial piece struck at Corinth under Roman rule during the time of Tiberius.
and while it obviously has been harshly cleaned, it may also in fact be tooled (not sure looking at it under a glass, but the scratches are suspicious).

oh well, live and learn.    :(  

~ Peter

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2016, 03:09:26 pm »
here's a nice little coin from Kroton in Bruttium. it is considered a triobol by one standard, and a diobol by another. i prefer diobol, as the term tribol indicates 3 obols, which is half a drachm. and this is certainly not a hemidrachm...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-127795

~ Peter

Taras

« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2016, 03:34:13 pm »
here's a nice little coin from Kroton in Bruttium. it is considered a triobol by one standard, and a diobol by another. i prefer diobol, as the term tribol indicates 3 obols, which is half a drachm. and this is certainly not a hemidrachm...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-127795

~ Peter

Hi Peter,
your coin cannot be a diobol. The weight of the achaean obol in south Italy was 0,447g. I already discussed this topic on this forum some years ago.
During the second half of the 6th and the first half of 5th centuries BC, southern Italy was divided in three distinct monetary "districts".
The first, between the rivers Sele and the Alento, dominated by a "Phoenician" stater of 7.76 g  (binary system: 1 stater =  2 drachms =12 obols).
The second, restricted to the only territory of Rhegion, which uses a drachm of g 5.82, as well as all the other Chalcidian colonies of Sicily.
The third, by far the most important for this issue, (extended from Kroton to Tarentum) that issued a stater defined "Achaean" or "reduced Corinthian" (ternary system: 1stater = 3 drachms = 18 obols).
"Achaean", because originally adopted by all Achaean poleis of Magna Graecia, from Metaponto to Sybaris, to Kroton.
"Reduced Corinthian" because divided into thirds like the Corinthian, but with mass under the standard established for this unit.
It was probably a measure aimed to ensure more tax revenue to the community. In other words, the local currency was issued at lowest weight compared to the foreign currency, and the gain came by imposing an equal rate to merchants using foreign currency.
We can determine the mass of "Achaean" Stater looking to the coinage of Kroton in the fifth century. Colin M. Kraay identified in the triobol, issued at that time in considerable quantity, a fractional having an economic-technical function, that allowed the passage from local currency to original Corinthian currency.

2 corinthian Staters = 2 achaean Staters + 1 triobol

So, for a corinthian stater (weight standard 8,72g) we have:

(2 x g 8,72) = 2 achaean Staters + 1 triobol = g 17,44

..and, turning into obols the achaean:

(2 x g 8,72) = [(2 x 18) + 3] obols

therefore:

17,44 : 39 = g 0,447, which is the weight of the achaean obol (multiplying by 18 this unit we can set for the achaean Stater 8,04 g)

However, a beautiful acquisition, congratulations!!

Best :)
Nico

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2016, 11:38:47 am »
 +++ ;) :)

Very nice coin Peter...

and a very nice useful explanation by Nico..

Regards
 Q.
My Gallery

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2016, 03:57:41 am »
the past month was not a very good one for me, numismatically speaking. i lost out on 3 different coins from Magna Graecia at auction, all of which should have ended up in my collection (at least according to me).
so i went in a different direction and bought a coin which i have wanted since i first started collecting ancients 28 years ago. somehow another coin was always available when i had money and so i never pulled the trigger.
that has now changed.

the facing head nymphs of Larissa are not uncommon, and you can find one at nearly any dealer or auction. however the artistic quality varies greatly from engraver to engraver, with the nymphs covering every aesthetic point from Salma Hayak to Larry Fine.
really, some of them are quite hideous, but many are among the most beautiful coins ever produced, imo.

i believe my latest acquisition is from the latter group, and i'm so glad to finally strike this one from my list with a coin of such fine style. as pretty as the image appears, in hand it is even more so, with a remarkably high relief for such a spread flan...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-128203

~ Peter

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2016, 12:15:13 pm »
the past month was not a very good one for me, numismatically speaking. i lost out on 3 different coins from Magna Graecia at auction, all of which should have ended up in my collection (at least according to me).
so i went in a different direction and bought a coin which i have wanted since i first started collecting ancients 28 years ago. somehow another coin was always available when i had money and so i never pulled the trigger.
that has now changed.

the facing head nymphs of Larissa are not uncommon, and you can find one at nearly any dealer or auction. however the artistic quality varies greatly from engraver to engraver, with the nymphs covering every aesthetic point from Salma Hayak to Larry Fine.
really, some of them are quite hideous, but many are among the most beautiful coins ever produced, imo.

i believe my latest acquisition is from the latter group, and i'm so glad to finally strike this one from my list with a coin of such fine style. as pretty as the image appears, in hand it is even more so, with a remarkably high relief for such a spread flan...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-128203

~ Peter

Nice specimen.. +++

Q.
My Gallery

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2016, 12:30:23 am »
thanks Q!

computer problems have kept me from announcing some of my latest purchases. i can access the gallery about half of the time, but my success rate with the discussion board is about 10%, and then it usually times out before i can post. strangely enough i've found i can get to the discussion board from the gallery with a little more success.
anyway...

i picked up this scarce bronze from Syracuse featuring Pyrrhus' mother Phthia...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-129562

the coin is nicer in hand, and has a dark patina which i was not able to capture without losing detail.

the next is a bronze from Ephesus...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-129660

this was not a coin i really had to have, but it was cheap and i really love these little bees.   :)

i also added a couple of rarities to my Taras collection recently, but i will post those here...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=78345.125

~ Peter

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2016, 04:46:44 am »
Nice acquisitions.... +++

I hope you solved your computer problem :)

Regards

Q.
My Gallery

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2016, 04:50:07 pm »
my latest acquisition, a gift from a friend, is a severely underweight tetradrachm from Athens.   ;)
actually this tiny little fraction is quite charming, and much much nicer than the image shows, especially the owl. it really does look like the iconic tetradrachm in miniature, and in fact is probably harder to find than the larger version.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-132172

~ Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity