Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RIC X 1807  (Read 355 times)

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
RIC X 1807
« on: September 08, 2022, 03:37:04 am »
Hello,

In the RIC X the number 1807 for Theodosius II shoulde be a bust with CbLB so a consular bust with mappa and cruciform scepter, turned left (note that in bust description C is note turned left and therefore it dont nedd the suffix L). The portraiture is bearded. The reference noted is L (not in Italic but i actually think it still indicate the bibliography), the book is: Late Roman Bronze Coins A.D. 324-491 CARSON R. A. G., HILL P.V., KENT J.P.C. I dont have the book and find strange it quote a gold coin. Can you tell me if it talk about this coin in private colletion? Quote me the note please if you can.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: RIC X 1807
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 03:47:20 am »

L in footnote 1807 points to London, British Museum.

Pekka K

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 04:13:10 am »
How can it be quoted by the museum? It is on private collection. In this case where can i see the note of the museum?

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 04:33:28 am »

Footnote 1807: "Private collection, note in L; confirmation required."

-> this coin is in a private collection, and it is noted in British Museum cataloque,
but confirmation is required.

Pekka K

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 05:29:41 am »
Ok, i got the case where the letter was not in Italic but the source was the italic reference by error. Thats why i suspected another error.

Thanks, do you have the book and the exact note inside? What is the exact book? BMC Coins of the Roman Empire in The British Museum?

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 06:04:46 am »
BMCRE series stops to Pupienus, so note maybe in other book dealing later period.

Possibly PCR mentioned here: https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_1867-0101-989

Pekka K

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 07:42:06 am »
Vol. III maybe. Ill try to see if i find something.

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 10:46:14 am »
I bought the vol III and i dont see any note. 1960? What book therefore?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity