Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help : Lead Seal / Bulla / Token #4  (Read 1213 times)

turanoid

ID Help : Lead Seal / Bulla / Token #4
« on: December 25, 2011, 11:59:19 am »
Hi friends, I have difficulties with this seal, I guess it's a byzantine seal,but could anybody tell me what is written on the obverse and reverse?
Thank you in advance.

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Re: ID Help : Lead Seal / Bulla / Token #4
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 04:53:22 pm »
Hi,

I suggest that the monogram looks like mongram 61, Justinian II, first reign. Around that I read just IOV  -  ST? - IN - OV   instead of Ioustininanou (?). Experts may have better explanations. Two more of your seals have the same monogram.

byzcoll

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 03:05:42 am »
Hi Byzcoll,
You are spot on about the name, but the monogram is invocational - QEOTOKE BOHQEI (Theotokos aid Justin). His office/dignity on the reverse.
Regards
Gert

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 03:19:05 am »
The rev. reads 'CILENTIAPIW', so Justin had the ceremonial title of 'silentiarios'.
By the way, this seal would date about 8th century, so it hasn't got anything to do with the emperors named Justin.
Regards
Gert

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 03:50:45 am »
For those interested in Byzantine seals the best references can be found in the six volumes of :

"Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and in the Fogg Museum of Art".
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              From Seals of Emperors and Patriarchs to those of other officials of lesser importance such as protospatharios,strategos, spatharokandidatos,
genikos logothetes,and the almost entire Byzantine administration.

They can make a nice collection and much cheaper than  birdies.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity