Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help on Latin Trachy  (Read 1764 times)

Offline abcoin

• Praetorian
ID Help on Latin Trachy
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:04:53 pm »
Hi everyone, I got this trachy in an uncleaned lot.  Using Helvetica's Byzantine list, I've narrowed the attribution down to either Sear 2052, picturing Mary standing, or 2053, picturing a military saint.  The picture bellow is of the obverse.  I couldn't get a decent reverse scan, since the concave side of the coin doesn't scan well.  Any opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: ID Help on Latin Trachy
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:47:17 pm »
Your obverse here is bust of Christ, try to do a scan of the reverse if at all possible, its not really possible to narrow down without.

cordially

cw

Offline abcoin

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 12:22:59 am »
Here is the complete scan of the coin, obverse and reverse.  The reverse's detail is considerably sharper in hand, but this is the best I can do.  wileyc, thank you for your quick response, and sorry for my wrong attribution earlier.  This partcular trachy doesn't have any legends, so going on images alone like this is challenging for me.

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 02:03:37 am »
Sear 2021.
Obv. The Virgin enthroned (cw??)
Rev. Emperor standing

tk

Offline abcoin

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 02:40:33 am »
I forgot to mention, it weighs 1.50 grams and is 25mm long (that's measured the long way).  Does this make it a large or small module?

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 02:48:52 am »
Small, so Sear 2044
tk

Offline abcoin

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 02:48:49 am »
Thank you both for your attrubution help.  I found a match in the FORVM catalog, and it does appear to be Sear 2044.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity