Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tyche of Antioch attribution query  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Tyche of Antioch attribution query
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:22:15 am »
The only difference between the Tyche of Antioch pentanummi issued under Justin I (Sear 111) and Justinian I (Sear 240) is the obverse legend, reading, if complete, either DNIVSTINVSPPAVG (15 letters) or DNIVSTINIANVSPPAVG (18 letters)

On the coin below the legend appears not to be complete – it clearly starts DNV – and I can’t read enough of the letters to be sure of the emperor. But judging by the size of the font and trying to count the spaces in between characters – I think I count 15 or 16 spaces (= 16 or 17 letters) – I’m very much inclined to attribute this example to Justinian. Do others agree that this is a safe attribution?

Bill R

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Tyche of Antioch attribution query
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:03:20 pm »
That is a tough call. I would be inclined to attribute to Justinian also, based on your premise, but ...........would be interested in another opinion.

cw

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
Re: Tyche of Antioch attribution query
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:03:32 pm »
Too many letters for Justinus, so I would guess Justinianus.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity