Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Twinkle, twinkle ...  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Twinkle, twinkle ...
« on: March 05, 2010, 06:10:03 am »
I’ve been wondering some more about stars. Sear’s book normally doesn’t distinguish between stars of different type, e.g. 6-point and 8-point. For example, the two coins below are both attributed Sear 62, “Large M between two stars … etc.” From my collection of photos and what I can find on the Internet, it looks as if the 6-point star on Sear 62 is much more common. But does anyone have any reliable information – or an educated guess – about how scarce the 8-point star variant really is? And whether the 8-point is associated with particular officinae?

Bill R 

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Twinkle, twinkle ...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:06:51 am »
I do not recall much being written about six vs eight point stars. When looking at DOC I often note a number of variations of star types with in a SB number.

cw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity