Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Justinian I 16-nummi Thessalonica  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Justinian I 16-nummi Thessalonica
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:32:51 am »
A simple question this, which only serves to display my nearly total ignorance. The 16-nummi coins from Thessalonica during the reign of Justinian I all have a reverse with prominent letters AISP. I presume the S is really a digamma ( :Greek_Stigma:) so the IS letters are the symbols for 16. But what do the A and P (Rho?) letters designate?

Bill R

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
Re: Justinian I 16-nummi Thessalonica
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 08:57:54 am »
But what do the A and P (Rho?) letters designate?

Bill R

It is not really clear.
The most accepted interpretations are:
1. "Antiquo Pontere", which is translated to "old metric-weighting system".
2. "Argyria" This word in Greek could be used as we today use € or $. The coin should be called "16 argyria".
3. "Arca Praefectoria" which means " the treasury of the Praetorian Prefect" of Illyricum
Your choice ;D
tk

PS I am between 1 and 2...

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 09:59:29 am »
2. "Argyria" This word in Greek could be used as we today use € or $. The coin should be called "16 argyria".

Thanks, tk. Helpful as ever. But in the sort of Greek I was taught an argyriov would have to be made of silver. Had the meaning changed by the sixth-century?

Bill R

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:17:12 pm »
Literally you are right. Argyros=silver.
But this word in Greek sometimes had a wider meaning, indicating money in general...
Nothing -as already said- is sure though.
tk

All coins are guaranteed for eternity