Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sear 1011: regnal year question  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Sear 1011: regnal year question
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:57:41 pm »

This is a follis of Constans II, (Sear 1011). The vertical letters to the left of the emperor give the regnal year: I see X X ? The bottom symbol looks like another X to me, but XXX won't do as a regnal year. Sear gives X X   :Greek_Gamma: as the only noted combination, but I can't read that as a  :Greek_Gamma: - or as any other letter that would make sense in that position. So I conclude that the symbol I'm reading as the top X isn't an X but actually the top of Constans' long cross, which has 'fallen over' - leaving just XX as the regnal year. Is that right, or have I missed something?

Bill R

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: Sear 1011: regnal year question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 05:02:17 am »
Looks like Year 23 to me.

Kevin  :)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 05:26:07 am »
Thanks, Kevin. That's a helpful and credible suggestion. But then what's going on in the area immediately below your  :Greek_Gamma:, where I still imagine I see at least one arm of an  :Greek_Chi:?

Bill R

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 06:17:56 am »
It's probably part of the undertype, perhaps the cross on a crown of an overstruck figure.

Kevin  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity