Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Disappearing Threads.....What happened?  (Read 1692 times)

Lloyd Taylor

Disappearing Threads.....What happened?
« on: May 21, 2009, 08:58:32 pm »
What happened to the two threads initiated by Ptolemaios on (1) The most expensive Greek coins and (2) The low quality of Greek bronze coins? 

They appear to have been deleted in the last couple of days from the Greek Coins Board, but for what reason?

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Disappearing Threads.....What happened?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:17:51 pm »
Were they moved to another section?
Josh

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 09:26:49 pm »
Were they moved to another section?

It does not appear so - no notice of a MOVE is posted (per usual practice) on the Greek Board. A search on the noted topics turns up nothing by way of  the original threads, nor an indication of where they have gone.

Offline xintaris75

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:34:33 pm »
It seems, what he deleted his account with all messages - in member's list "ptolemaios" not exist...
Ω ΖΕΥ, ΠΑΤΕΡ ΖΕΥ,
ΣΟΝ ΜΕΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΥ ΚΡΑΤΟΣ.
ΣΥ Δ' ΕΡΓ' ΕΠ' ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ ΟΡΑΪΣ
ΛΕΩΡΓΑ ΚΑΙ ΘΕΜΙΣΤΑ.
ΣΟΙ ΔΕ ΘΗΡΙΩΝ ΥΒΡΙΣ ΤΕ ΚΑΙ ΔΙΚΗ ΜΕΛΕΙ.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:49:56 pm »
I can tell you as the moderator of this thread that I did not delete or move those threads.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:57:30 pm »
It seems, what he deleted his account with all messages - in member's list "ptolemaios" not exist...

I would have thought the threads/posts remained even when an account was canceled. But this may explain it, as the original post under each thread was in the name "ptolemy 1" which then changed to "ptolemaios" after a couple of posts. Maybe he had an identity crisis, then pulled the plug and deleted all his posts in the process....  strange behavior if so, but not the first time it has occurred.

I had a new thought and input for on one of the threads and I was surprised to see both had disappeared over a couple of days.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 10:03:01 pm »
I can tell you as the moderator of this thread that I did not delete or move those threads.

Thanks for the clarification.  After the the scond of the threads disappeared I did not think it was a moderation issue.

For a brief time, the debate was heating up on the matter of the relative merits of Greek Bronze coins and I thought that in my absence it must have become to hot to handle and undergone the ultimate moderation sanction, but this clearly could not have applied to the matter of the most expensive Greek coin which subsequently disappeared....hence my inquiry.

Offline xintaris75

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 10:05:33 pm »
It's very strange option of Board - a topicstarter have a right for deleting topic with all messages.
Not very good, imho.
Ω ΖΕΥ, ΠΑΤΕΡ ΖΕΥ,
ΣΟΝ ΜΕΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΥ ΚΡΑΤΟΣ.
ΣΥ Δ' ΕΡΓ' ΕΠ' ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ ΟΡΑΪΣ
ΛΕΩΡΓΑ ΚΑΙ ΘΕΜΙΣΤΑ.
ΣΟΙ ΔΕ ΘΗΡΙΩΝ ΥΒΡΙΣ ΤΕ ΚΑΙ ΔΙΚΗ ΜΕΛΕΙ.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 10:14:45 pm »
It's very strange option of Board - a topicstarter have a right for deleting topic with all messages.
Not very good, imho.

Agree.  A lot of contributors put considerable time and effort into a considered response and this can apparently be wiped by the thread originator.  Yet much of the thought and discussion by contributors has value and interest beyond the original thread and this potentially is useful to many people beyond the originator of the thread.  I have frequently searched the Discussion Board to find a lot of reference material and discussion of relevance to me and my numismatic research, including posts dating back years.  Yet all this is apparently at risk if a thread originator chooses to delete it, or cancel his/her membership of the Forum Discussion Board.

The Discussion Board contains a lot of intellectual property (as well as some not so intellectual property  ;D) that is at risk. I think this is a security issue that Forum may be well served to consider.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 02:46:59 am »
I have noticed this strange behavior too. I think it should not be allowed for a thread originator to delete contributions of other Forum members except his own postings.

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 04:14:48 am »
That would be a server software issue: I THINK that if the originator of the thread deletes the opening post, it might take the whole thread with it.  Once I deleted a posting of my own, a long time ago, because it was a partial duplicate of the correct one I also had posted, and, in that case, only the incomplete and incorrect posing was deleted.  That is as it should be.  Otherwise, useful contributions could be lost merely because someone got angry.  Of course, a moderator can make "redactions" (for example, if something were libel or grossly indecent), but those would not be the problem here.  If privately someone were threatening the Forvm, of course, Joe or Sorin could do what the law required.  I doubt that that has happened, unless someone who hated Wildwinds hated Forvm too and was trying to hurt us.
Pat L.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 04:27:41 am »
This poster can dish out criticism but not take it, apparently
He's been the same on the German board and has deleted all his posts there as well.

I find it useful that I can delete my own posts and threads but I don't think I've ever deleted threads where
other people had posted, because I consider this very impolite.
I have, however, deleted a number of posts or threads of mine that were, on second thought, stupid
for some reason. Among them were identification requests where after posting I almost immediately
found my coin myself.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity