Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla from Caesarea with unrecorded avers inscription  (Read 744 times)

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
Caracalla from Caesarea with unrecorded avers inscription
« on: February 08, 2009, 11:51:53 am »
Hello,

I recently bought this drachm of the very young Caracalla from Caesarea in Cappadocia from year 5 (198).

Avers: bare draped cuirassed bust right
Revers: mount Argaios with figure on top, to the left a crescent
Inscription MHTPOΠ KAICAPI ET E (probably)

The interesting thing is the avers inscription:

MAP AVPHΛIOC ANTWNINOC KAIC which means Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Caesar in Latin.

In the references I cannot find this inscription with the unabbreviated names Aurelios Antoninos.
I checked SNG Copenhagen, SNG von Aulock, BMC, Sydenham, and Weber.

Has anyone a reference for this inscription?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Caracalla from Caesarea with unrecorded obverse inscription
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:49:33 pm »
In a response to the same question on the German Numismatikforum, I pointed out

(a) that the unclear date is likely to be ET E = Year 5 = 196/7 AD, since this is the only year recorded for drachms of Caracalla Caesar at Caesarea in Sydenham/Malloy, Coinage of Caesarea in Cappadocia,

(b) that the longest recorded obv. legend for this drachm is

MAR AVRHLIOC ANTWNI KAI,

Sydenham/Malloy 466a = SNG v. Aulock 6484, that is the same legend as on antoninus1's coin, but with ANTWNI not ANTWNINOC.

"Eine etwas längere Legende bei Sydenham/Malloy 466a = SNG v. Aulock 6484,

"MAR AVRHLIOC ANTWNI KAI.

"Das Datum wird ET E = 196/7 n. Chr. sein, weil Silbermünzen von Caracalla als Caesar aus Caesarea nur aus diesem Jahr bekannt sind."
Curtis Clay

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
Re: Caracalla from Caesarea with unrecorded avers inscription
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 04:39:47 pm »
Curtis,

I hope you don´t feel offended because I placed my question also here. I just saw that I forgot to thank you for your information there. Sorry for that :(

I guess that many members of this forum don´t read the German forum. I hoped for additional information here and thought that the coin might be of interest for some members.

ad (a): I didn´t question year 5 any longer, my "probably" refers to the whole reverse inscription (I found KAICAPI or KAICAPIA)

ad (b): maybe new coins with other legends have turned up recently. If not I am happy to record this coin as a new variant.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Caracalla from Caesarea with unrecorded obverse inscription
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 04:49:13 pm »
Certainly the membership here is larger and different than on the German forum, so worth consulting about a new variant.

However, the information in Sydenham/Malloy, the standard work on the subject, is highly relevant, since it is the starting point, showing what was known up to 1978!
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity