Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: coin identification  (Read 1626 times)

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
coin identification
« on: March 28, 2008, 06:15:56 am »
Hi, all
I have an unidentified celtic (?) bronze coin for a while, but I can find nowhere information about it. Has anyone ever seen like this. It was found in north of Hungary, near Danube.
Thanks. Mike from Hungary.

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Re: coin identification
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 10:07:20 pm »
hi mike, are you quite sure it is bronze?  the danubian valley was well known for silver, some gold, very little bronze.  almost all the coins were imitations of greek issues, this being a scyphate makes it somewhat a rarity, and it is nice.  df allen/daphne nash, in the book - - the coins of the ancient celts - - labels some of these coins, of which there are many different types in varying degrees of detail, macedonian/thracian, c.150bc or even earlier, the scyphate issues seem to correspond to inroads made by alexander and philip iii (See map)...reverse appears to be horse with rider wearing a plumed helmet, obverse may be stylized head of zeus beardless....called Danubian Celtic possibly Cotini tribe, the lines you see on the obverse are the hair of the head of the figure, whomever that might be, I am thinking beardless Zeus.  I hope this information helps and at least it gives a place to start your search.  the book mentioned above is highly recommended.

i think the horse on left here is oriented correctly, i think the obverse image needs to be tilted 90 degrees to the right.

best wishes

b
Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity