Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Rare U.S. $15 millions Gold Coin Was Found in a Closet  (Read 5000 times)

ruapuke

A Rare U.S. $15 millions Gold Coin Was Found in a Closet
« on: February 12, 2008, 06:23:31 am »
An egyptian couple when cleaning their room found a rare us double eagle gold coin. The experts valued it: $15 million. It is a very beautiful coin, indeed. This is my coins of the day.

http://dig4coins.com/news/1-latest-news/397-a-rare-us-gold-coin-valued-at-15-millions-found-in-a-closet.html

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: A Rare U.S. $15 millions Gold Coin Was Found in a Closet
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 06:45:39 am »
Boring. While I have no problems with the occasional modern coin being posted here,
it can never be coin of the day here. The fact that it's allegedly worth $15 million doesn't make it less boring.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:50:06 am »
Presumably the 1933 date, which was supposed to have been entirely melted down when the US went off the gold standard.

The FBI/Secret Service has been confiscating these 1933 coins as stolen government property for decades.

I wonder if this alleged "closet" find in Egypt isn't just an attempt to provide a "legal" pedigree for a piece that was actually obtained from the mint by questionable means back in 1933.
Curtis Clay

Vladimir

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:54:32 am »
i believe 1 is legal to own,  it was in king Faruch collection, and later somehow ended up in USA  confiscated by an undercover FBI agent ( ?)  and later sold  to a private bidder for 6 or 6.5 M . Thera are two more in Smith. museum in DC, I 've seen them when they had a coin room open. Nice, but nowhere near 6M  if you ask me.  Thank God there are 1000 times  or so less ancient coin collectors then US coin collectors. otherwise we'd have to pay  hundreds for 4's centuary slugs.

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 11:20:35 am »
the 1933 double eagle has the distinction of being the highest price paid for a coin at 7.59 million, this came from the legal sale of the King Farouk example. 15 million is about twice that, and as far as i know, no other example is legal outside the Farouk example so good luck selling in the US...

IMO this is NOT what Coin of the day is for. First this is an ancient coin forum. Second, and most importantly, this not your coin. I dont mind seeing the occasional non ancient coin here, but please be the owner if you post it!
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »
Talk about silly money! That eagle is completely lifeless. If I had a decent eagle reverse, which I don't, I'd post that. They may be less accurate, but they're alive.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline the_Apostate

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 04:51:33 pm »
1933 so that's all that makes it different from 1932.

Most uninteresting CotD ever.

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:59:01 pm »
From an aesthetic point of view, this €1 Indian head nickel is more pleasing.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:37:40 pm »
Among American coins, I'd have picked one of these, which is almost on-topic because it has a fascis and a pileum:

"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 06:35:12 pm »
After the 1933 sold for 7.5 million, a lady found 11 others in her father's estate.  They were sent to the mint for authentication and now they're in Fort Knox.  There's a pretty big legal battle going on which is interesting for all coin collectors, I think.  I hadn't heard about this last one.

NJM

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 07:46:12 pm »
I have a 1934 Buffalo Nickel, one of my favorite U.S. coins, a gift when I began coin collecting.  But I've never had in hand a Mercury dime from my childhood years anywhere near as nice as Bill's.  The dollar in similar style is also beautiful.
Pat L.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 06:14:24 pm »
Back in the days when knights were bold, we had proper money, and a penny would buy a bar of chocolate, I occasioally used to find Victoria pennies in my change. They might have been worn, but they certainly brought the old bag to life.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 06:17:29 pm »
Back in the days when knights were bold, we had proper money, and a penny would buy a bar of chocolate, I occasionally used to find Victoria pennies in my change. They might have been worn, but they certainly brought the old bag to life.
Robert Brenchley

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 06:59:14 pm »
I used to like looking at all the different kinds of coin and ruler too.  You don't even have to go back to Victoria to find pleasing coins.  Wren farthings were great .. I like this one too: sorry I don't have a better example.  Again, nearly on topic, as Britannia is standing on the prow of a galley.

"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 07:17:08 pm »
She stands like, e.g., the Tomis Tyche that has Pontos at her feet.  Pat L.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 05:57:38 am »
Here in the UK, prior to decimalisation, it was not at all unusual to get 19th century coinage in your change. The oldest coin I ever got in change was a worn William IV half-crown, memorable because I was only a school-boy and an avid collector of British coins at the time.
The Edward VII florin moonmoth posted above was one of my favourites, along with Victoria's Gothic florin, an example of which I have pictured below.

Alex.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 09:09:53 am »
I'm also a fan of the old English coinage, having grown up in England and collected the stuff.

Here's a young Victoria penny I bought last year for nostalgia sake (in the 60's you could still find these in change) shown beside a Euro cent for size comparison. With England going down the tubes this no doubt is next.

I'm not sure why Britannia is sporting a Corinthian helmet, but if it was good enough for Athena I guess why not.

Robert - what is that sun-like brooch on the old bag's chest?

Does anyone know what countries currently have the oldest still circulating legal tender?

Ben

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 09:35:55 am »
Some nice coins there.  Pity they're all in the past.  We don't need to be in the eurozone to produce rubbishy coins.  The modern ones all look as though they were designed by a rather low-grade artifical intelligence.

Notice the shamrock, rose and thistle in the exergue of that last penny, for Ireland, England and Scotland.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 10:41:39 am »
The cartwheel 2d piece always appealed to me. It is a piece with real presence and not one you would want too many of in your pocket. I was recently given the item below as a curio. It is a box formed from two of the Cartwheel 2d pieces.

Regards,
Martin

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 12:26:31 pm »
When I was a child and first became interested in coins in the early 1970s I used to look through my mother’s pocket change for obsolete U.S. coins. At that time there were still lots of old style Lincoln cents (with the wheat sheath reverse) and a fair number of Indian Head, or “buffalo” nickel 5c pieces in circulation (though the date was worn off of most of these). There were also occasionally silver coins to be found (the U.S. had gone over to copper-nickel clad coinage in 1965) and these were fun to pick out from the rest. My best and oldest find was an 1854 silver seated liberty 25c piece received from a vending machine in change. Some years later I traded it for a Roman coin, though I forget now what coin.

In my opinion the early 20th century U.S. coinage was the most attractive the nation has produced. While the Lincoln cent and buffalo nickel don’t excite me much the so called “Mercury” dime, standing Liberty quarter, walking Liberty half dollar, silver “Peace” dollar, Indian head eagle ($10 gold) and the double eagle ($20 gold; which started this particular thread) are the most beautiful series of U.S. circulating coinage. The latter two were the work of the brilliant sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens and the silver pieces were primarily designed by sculptor Adolph Alexander Weinman. This was the period when true artists were employed to design the coinage. Today we are treated to the jumble of ugly “statehood quarters,” miscellaneous nickels that look like parking tokens, the truly atrocious Presidential dollars series and the worst of all, the Sacagawea “golden dollar,” which is made of a brass alloy and turns brown after about the third handling. Truly uninspired designs.

Not ALL modern coinage is bad, though. The head of Liberty on the 1988 gold $5 Olympic commemorative is, in my opinion, probably the finest rendition of Liberty ever to grace an American coin; pity almost no one ever saw the design since it did not circulate, of course. This particular coin has the dubious honor (again my opinion only) of having the very finest obverse design of any U.S. coin and the very worst reverse design of any U.S. coin. Two different designers were employed on this project and this was the result. Typically collaborative efforts to design coins result in disaster, I have observed. The very best coin designs have but one artist (emphasis on the word artist) creating the coin. It seems that today the U.S. Mint (and, it would seem a number of mints of other governments as well) must be under some sort of mandate to give employment to the talent-free.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 01:25:39 pm »
I draw no inspiration in the designs of the current US or Euro coins. What happened to a coin reflecting culture?
Adversus solem ne loquitor

NervousRex

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 01:46:16 pm »
Hi.   
Alex. your coin is not only a Gothic Florin,it is also a Godless Florin.

Robert.

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 01:52:07 pm »

Robert - what is that sun-like brooch on the old bag's chest?

its the order of the garter.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 01:58:46 pm »
Thanks, monty!

Ben

Maffeo

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 02:11:07 pm »
Quote from: ROMA on February 14, 2008, 01:25:39 pm
I draw no inspiration in the designs of the current US or Euro coins. What happened to a coin reflecting culture?

I live in the Euro world and spend some time each year in the US as well. I find both coinages esthetically abominable.
The saddest thing is people styling themselves "numismatists" because they collect Euro coins from each country or the series of state quarters.
Mind you, I'm kind of fond of the Greek 1 Euro coin that reproduces on the reverse the Athenian Owl tetradrachma, and I'm always pleased when it turns up in my change  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity