Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet Challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins!!!

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

Author Topic: Rare Byzantine coins in your collection  (Read 97280 times)

Offline kitov

• Consul
Re: Rare Byzantine coins in your collection
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2020, 11:31:26 am »
John Comnenus-Ducas. As emperor of Thessalonica, 1237-1242. Æ Half Tetarteron (1,04 gr.). Thessalonica mint. + Iω Δ/KOMNH/NOC O ΔO/VKAC in four lines / Cross potent on two steps; barred IC-XC across field. DOC 13; SB 2224,CLBC V.Marchev 14.30.3
The coin is minted in 1242-1244 

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2020, 01:49:29 pm »
I have a version of that as well, I was noticing how they differed. Weight is near same but the reverse legend is not the same.  These are found concaved as well. Both yours and mine agree with Hendys observation  that they are tetartera.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-160043

Here is our coins side by side.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2020, 01:57:34 pm »

I read kitov's  coin: Ιω/ ΔΕCΠ(Ο)/ ΤΗCΚ/ ΟΜΝ

Pekka K

All coins are guaranteed for eternity