Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can you id this coin please  (Read 1167 times)

orion

Can you id this coin please
« on: October 28, 2004, 12:16:49 pm »
Dear friends

One of my coins is attached below.

I search on the www. but didnt sea any shape on the obverse side "a man carrying something like a 2-sided-axe.." in addition to this i didnt recognize this coin..

regards

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
Re:Can you id this coin please
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 12:26:50 pm »
Any chance of reading more off of the obverse legend?
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

orion

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 12:47:25 pm »
Reverse : (ACKAI) [x x x x ] N or H   and the other side of axe I E ( I guess these 3 letters  PAI) pi O

Obverse : (I guess these  AVT) [ x x x x ]AKAI (P) [ x x x ] AN

() : I guess

[] : I cant read and x quantity not exact number of unreaded letters

pi : pi sign

Yes its very hard ... Thank you very much for your interest indeed..

Regards

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 12:54:04 pm »
     Mint seems to be Hierapolis in Phrygia, rev. Apollo Lairbenos holding branch and double-ax.
     That mint often begins ethnic at 1 o'cl. as on your coin, and the same god appears e.g. on a coin of Nero at that mint, BM 105 pl. 31.6 (here holding patera and double-ax).
     Obv. looks very much like Clodius Albinus, a very rare personage on provincials.
     In a brief search, Cohen, Sear, Aulock, BMC, Berk photofile, I have been unable to confirm that this mint is known to have struck for Albinus.
Curtis Clay

orion

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 01:11:39 pm »
Dear Curtis,

I thank you for your quick help...

I this case what you recommend me to identify something like this provincial...I have lots of them...But I cant id..

As every collector, me to ....Just what i wanted to know what are they and who minted them....and more questions...

And if I want to sell this how can i fix the prise of it...

Yours respectfully

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 01:18:49 pm »
Orion,
     I am not recommending anything to you at all; just conveying to you and the group as much as I've been able to find out about your coin!
Yours,
Curtis Clay
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity