Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An alexander tetradrachm from Bvlgari?is it ok?  (Read 1022 times)

Offline XLi

• Consul
An alexander tetradrachm from Bvlgari?is it ok?
« on: September 25, 2021, 05:16:04 am »
A friend of mine bought it at 2005 from bulgari,the oberverse look good but there is a strange protrusion on the face.The letters of the reverse looked not very well...

Offline dwarf

• Consul
Re: An alexander tetradrachm from Bvlgari?is it ok?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 05:51:30 am »
To my knowledge Bulgari worked with a most respected coin seller and I never saw any fake coins with their jewellry.
OK - they charged decent prices  :) - but the coins were genuine - as in this case

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 06:33:07 am »

Offline XLi

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 09:02:34 am »
To my knowledge Bulgari worked with a most respected coin seller and I never saw any fake coins with their jewellry.
OK - they charged decent prices  :) - but the coins were genuine - as in this case

But I don’t know if this is a genuine Bulgari jewellery. If it’s a counterfeit Bulgari, do you think it’s genuine just for the coin itself?

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 09:55:37 am »
Well - either you trust your friend or you don't

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 11:18:47 am »
... This looks like a die match ...
Looking at C. A. Marinescu & C. Lorber, The "Black Sea" Tetradrachm Hoard, in Paunov & FIlipova, eds., HPAKLEOYΣ ΣΩTHPOΣ THAΣIΩN. Studia in honorem Iliae Prokopov (Veliko Turnovo, 2012), pp. 197-259, you will find even more (numbers 267 to 276 on page 211)
https://www.academia.edu/4691602/C._Marinescu_and_C._Lorber_The_Black_Sea_Tetradrachm_Hoard_in_Paunov_and_FIlipova_eds._HPAKLEOY%CE%A3_%CE%A3%CE%A9THPO%CE%A3_THA%CE%A3I%CE%A9N._Studia_in_honorem_Iliae_Prokopov_Veliko_Turnovo_2012_pp._197-259

This type has been produced with a very small number of dies only.

Regards

Altamura

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 09:49:55 am »
What is golden tinge on Zeus/Alexander's cheek?  Just reflection from the rim or silver plate wearing off to reveal brass underneath??

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity