Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with attribution here (Cohen 6, but what RIC number?)  (Read 333 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Help with attribution here (Cohen 6, but what RIC number?)
« on: June 02, 2021, 06:05:48 pm »
Hoping for an assist here from the RIC experts. 

My copy of RIC IV is an original 1936 printing.  when I look up the below coin, which is very clearly a Severan dynasty Cohen 6, RIC 73 lists an Aureus with a cuirassed obverse and a soldier leading the horse on the reverseRIC 74 has no indicator if it's an aureus or denarius in the type field, and is listed as the same as RIC 73, except un-cuirassed and no soldier leading the horse.  The way it's referenced, it leads the reader to believe this must also be an Aureus

Cohen makes it very clear that C6 is a denarius with an identical description and RIC 74 cross-references Cohen 6. 

Can I safely attribute this piece as RIC 74?  Did later printings of RIC add a missing "D" indicator in the type column for RIC 74?  There is nothing in the corrigenda in my first edition RIC copy to indicate a correction. 

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=170575

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Help with attribution here (Cohen 6, but what RIC number?)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 01:38:21 am »

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 08:08:08 am »
Thanks Pekka, that further confirms that RIC 74 is the right attribution.  Too bad there is a typo in RIC that didn't make the corrigenda.

Somewhere, maybe the BM wedbsite?, there should be a list of corrections to the RIC versions that were noticed after printing. (or maybe it already exists?)
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 12:17:55 pm »
I see what you mean (my RIC IV is the 1936 edition as well).

RSC III page 19 coin number 6 is the coin in question, a denarius referenced to BMC W151-6; RIC 74.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity